Cello for DB?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Seppie, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    hi folks

this is my first thread here in TB...and im so excited :D

so now to the point...do have some of you expirience with the conversion of a cello in tunings
    of fourths?
    cause the small brother of my girlfriend is so in love with my bass that he also want´s one...and a 1/4 bass would be alot more pricey than a cello...that i could get one for about 650 euros with bag and bow...that seems to be fair...

thks beforehand

2. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    How small/young is he? The cello would sound and play much different from a double bass even tuned in fourths. Of course if he's not really serious about it and it's just for fun that wouldn't matter too much, unless I'm mistaken you'd just need to get strings of the right guage to be tuned in fourths.
  3. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    An earlier post mentioned the use of flatwound bass guitar strings on a cello for this use- the scale is right.

I had a similar need, but found a really nice 1/8th Chinese plywood bass for my 4'6" nephew. Cost a bit, but my luthier will give me 100% trade-up credit as he progresses to larger instruments. I told him if he stays with it until he gets a 3/4 sized instrument- it's his.
  4. George F. Schmidtt

George F. Schmidtt

Dec 21, 1999
    I've had a couple of VERY young students start out on a 1/2 size and full size cello tuned in 4ths but as soon as they can handle a larger 1/8th or 1/4th size bass I make the switch. The beauty of using the cello is that I DO NOT change the stings and the young fingers can press down the strings. We work on technique early on and when we swithc over to a 1/8 - 1/4 bass we have to work on strength. You can get soft strings but even with the action set low, the strength required to hold down the 4th finger properly won't develop until the student is at least 8 years old. I have more difficulty finding an appropriate sized bow and have resorted to shortening cello bows, as well, but then all of my students NOW play French bows - I wonder why?
  5. Seppie

Aug 14, 2002
    Austria, Vienna
    thks for the fast replies

so he´s 7 years old...
    and i know that a cello would sound a bit different than a real DB, but he...a DB is for a good reason a DB...
    and i will give him the option to beginn with an acoustic instrument...not a paddle like a bass guitar...
    i would e very thankfull now if somebody had given me such a chance when i was seven...

so you mentioned that bassguitar strings would fit on cello?...hmm i think i have to read more about cello´s to find the mensur´s.

also you mentioned the trbls with the bows...you are right...there would be some trbl to fine a small german bow... :(

so thks for help

grüße sebastian