cello rosin anyone?

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by sonicnuance, Jan 28, 2005.

1. sonicnuance

sonicnuance Commercial User

Aug 30, 2003
    California, USA
    Engineer & Owner, Sonic Nuance Electronics
    Hi all,
    I've tried Carlsson and Pops (both were nice but little sticky for me) but recently had an "accident" with my last cake (stop laughing please :) ). I decided to try some cello rosin. I bought Sherman's cello and Hidersine 1c cello. Guess what?? I really like the Sherman's rosin. The Hidersine seems more like a "summer" rosin... not bad but I like the Sherman's better. I should explain that I play an electric upright bass so volume is not an issue for me, I just care about tone.

I'm curious if anyone else has tried these rosins or other cello rosins.

P.S. I decided to try the cello rosin since it could buy both for the price of Pop's and I said "what the heck... maybe its a sign from God" :p
  2. hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Well, for what it's worth.. My teacher and fellow students (who are all much more experienced than I am) went to see Edgar Meyer a couple weeks ago. During a break in one of the pieces he whipped out a cake of rosin and rosined up his bow. Those with me were surprised that he was using cello rosin (I wouldn't know how to tell lol).

So I guess if it's good enough for Edgar Meyer..
  3. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    I'm pretty sure Gary Karr uses Cello rosin also
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you have a very responsive bass, bow and excellent hand (See: Meyer and Karr references) and also enjoy the benefit of a mic and/or every other player in the group adjsting to your sound output level, cello rosin may be a excellent choice.

It probably is not for the average orchestra pit guy.
  5. hirort

May 17, 2003
    Yokohama, Japan
    I'm using Salchow, a violin rosin cake. I enjoy both pronunciation and sound. Regular bass rosins are too sticky and sound dirty for me.

Anyone else using violin rosins?
  6. As an intermediate player, my advice as far as cello rosin is concerned is to use sparingly and at first only in practice sessions, then later on. The bow response is much different. My first encounter was when I'd forgotten my rosin in orchestra rehearsal and the principal handed me a cake of Hindersine...I've since talked to my luthier about it and he suggested that as was said I begin using cello rosin as a summer rosin and to work on bow response and to build technique and sensitivity...

Violin rosin???????????? Wacky... What's it do for you? How is the sound? Isn't it difficult to get enough pull, for lack of better word?? :eek:
  7. hirort

May 17, 2003
    Yokohama, Japan
    It might sound wacky, but I like it a lot. At first, it's not sticky at all. It's hard and fine. But I can make a quicker and smoother pronunciation than with regular bass rosin. I think Salchow rosin and gut strings make a very good match.
    If you put enough bow weight on a string, it's not difficult to arco, though you need to get used to it. It produces more natural sound, not the sound of string but the sound of bass body, to me.

Please try it and you can understand what I say.
  8. I'm definitely planning on looking into it, if nothing more than to educate myself and to broaden my horizons. What I'm envisioning is a more bodied, fuller, slightly more hollowed tone as opposed to the nasal tone caused by super-sticky rosins like Pop's...I've noticed these changes in the progression from bass to cello rosin and am just envisioning a more dramatic change in the progression to violin rosin. Even if it turns out to be nothing like I imagine it should be an interesting exercise in experimentation...
    What about metal strings? Don't you have to reapply like MAD??? Is the tone quality as good?
  9. hirort

May 17, 2003
    Yokohama, Japan
    You got my point!
    Before I switced to Oliv, I used the former Eudoxa, which is completely different from the current silver-wound gut Eudoxa. I think it's the same or similar to the current Original Flatchrome Steel. Violin rosin works on steel strings, too. I clearly felt and heard the differences.
    I hope you'll find better sound with violin rosin. But it depends not only the rosin, but your preference, playing style, settings, etc. I think you have a similar sound preference to me and know how to bow with hard rosin. So I guess you'll like it, too.
    Also, one of the advantages of Salchow is that it last longer than regular bass rosin. Applying it once a week or less would be enough for me, while I play the bass about an hour a day.
  10. Robert Strickland

Robert Strickland Supporting Member

If you try cello rosin, do you have to clean the bow strings of all the bass rosin? (However one would do that!) Or, can you put it on over the bass rosin?
  11. MikeCanada

Aug 30, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    A lot of players mix bass rosin with "violin" or "cello" rosin with great results. You wouldn't really have to remove the bass rosin to experiment with it, but you will be experiencing a blend of the residual rosin on your bow and the new rosin you just applied. If you want, you can attempt to play it out by playing without applying rosin, or using a clean dry rag (or brand new toothbrush) to try to get rid of some of the old rosin. If you really want to convert, the best way is to get a rehair and start with your rosin of choice.

As for the designations of "violin/viola/cello" rosins, most of that is marketing. Rosin is rosin, and Salchow and Sons mentioned earlier does not make a distinction as to which instruments they are marketing it to. They make a light and a dark rosin (from what I remember) and people make their own decisions as to what bow they want to use it on. Typically speaking, harder rosins are marketed to violinists, and progressively softer rosins are marketed on down. Colour often comes in to play as well, with darker rosins marketed at cellos and lighter ones marketed at violins. Until you hit bass rosins like Pops and anything with the word "soft" in the description, they can all be used interchangeably with fantastic results, even on bass bows.

Bass rosins are used very rarely on instruments other than basses for the reasons mentioned; they often seem too sticky and scratchy sounding, which are usually not desirable characteristics. This is not to say that there aren't people using bass rosin on bows for other instruments. Cellists will occasionally indulge, and it is more popular in genres outside of classical music where "bite" is a desirable sound. There is an electric string quartet that I have talked to a few times about bows, and they all use Pops and couldn't be happier. That's violinists-albeit electric violinists-using Pops.

Expand your horizons.
    gerry grable likes this.
  12. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I think cello rosin sounds ok… well… my cello bow sounds fine on bass anyway… great for solo stuff actually… :smug: but that's just messing around really… and... I use Jade for bass and cello and the two types by them are really similar…
  13. I use cello rosin. I like the sound, especially that you can get a full sound with more overtones in piano dynamics... Louder stuff is no problem with the right technique although I won't say I didn't struggle at first.

Around the time I started in my job I was on pops rosin with a thick bit of rubber (surgical tubing) around the frog to make it so it didn't hurt if/when I squeezed it. I thought I'd go back to the harder stuff one day which I remember was two four hour rehearsals and a concert (my first bass lessons were from a cello teacher so I used cello rosin for the first few years). The rubber grip broke halfway through the first rehearsal. I tell you, the next few days were an education in not squeezing with my thumb and using my natural arm weight properly... Now I'm more comfortable using very hard rosin and I know I'm much more in control than when I used the 'liquid technique' as i saw it referred to in another thread. Feel like it's me making the decisions rather than my rosin.
  14. martisanma

Jul 5, 2011
    Cadiz, Spain
    I find Kolstein bass rosin not as sticky as Pops and so. I didn't like when tried cello rosin in rehearsals, but as 'cold elephant' says, there must be a matter of struggling a bit at the beginning.
  15. trkkazulu

Apr 18, 2007
    I use only cello rosin. I play electric upright and solo all the time.
  16. eerbrev

Dec 6, 2009
    Ottawa, ON, CAN
    There are many "firm" bass rosins, that are not like Pops at all, and much closer to cello rosins. Anyone tried those?
  17. icanjam

Dec 8, 2013
    Manitowoc, WI
    Nymans is a pretty hard bass rosin, it's a bit stickier, and has quite a bit more grip than a harder cello rosin. But it still doesn't sound the same as cello rosin. I would still try it before going with a normal violin/viola/cello rosin.