1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Cello Wars - makes me want to try cello - electric of course!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bredian, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
  2. That is pretty awesome. :)

Now I'll be up all night pricing electric cellos...

3. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

Well, I just happen to have a NS 5-string Electric Cello I might sell.....dcr

4. thehess

thehess

Jun 15, 2011
    My wife plays cello in the band that I play bass in. I get to write the parts. It can be fun carrying the same rhythmic lines in harmony, or turning her loose to open a song. She even plucks a bass part on one tune where I pick up a 12 string guitar. I love the sound. Our band leader/songwriter does too. After our gig on Saturday, more than one person came up snd said 'More cello!'.

Her electric is a cheapie from Amazon, about 300. Then a luthier sanded a new bridge, and planed the fingerboard. I ripped out the cheap pre to make it passive, and she put on new strings (cello strings are EXPENSIVE....100+ for the C string alone!). All toll, with a new gig bag and carbon fiber bow, her setup was about 1500. She plays it through my Pandora P5xd, then a Line6 LD110 combo, which I already owned. It sounds killer.

5. thehess

thehess

Jun 15, 2011
    How do you tune it? Fourths like a 5er bass, or fifths with a low F or high E?

5 strings would definitely mess with a classically-trained cellists head. :)

We looked at th NS, but opted for one that could get destroyed in a club without too much heartache. These things are fragile beasts, with that high bridge.

6. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
    I'm gonna find a bow to try on my p bass :eyebrow:

7. e.rich

e.rich undersecretary of enablement

Mar 16, 2011
    W. Newbury, MA
    That is seriously bad-ass.