Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Cello!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Gabu, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi guys,

I was in a local shop the other day to pickup some sheet music for my little brother. They had this room full of Cellos. I was just hanging out at the time so I asked the owner if I could check them out. He was very nice and showed me various models in the $900 to $1800 range.

I tweaked around with one being used to a EBG and frets to boot... and gradualy figured out a couple of melodies... Then I noticed they had a bow there. I figured it would be cool to try to bow it... and so I began to replay the little tune I was making up by bowing... man it was such a sweet rich and buttery tone. I had a lot of fun.

Now I am really thinking about buying one of these. They also were teaching a Viola lesson while I was there. That's another awesome sound... it was so mysterious sounding. :)

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Learning viola would be a pain. The music is written in neither bass or treble clef. It is in either alto or tenor clef...

Middle C is on the middle line, not below or above it :)

Talk about a fun thing to learn!!

3. Link

Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    sadly i've never the opportunity to really get into cello... however... i'll say that violas pwn... it's a pain sometimes, but once you get warmed up it's okay... and taking music from treble or bass into alto cleff is pretty simple- wonderful sound- magnifcent instrument... okay, maybe not as great as the bass, but it's pretty close...