1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cello!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Gabu, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hi guys,

I was in a local shop the other day to pickup some sheet music for my little brother. They had this room full of Cellos. I was just hanging out at the time so I asked the owner if I could check them out. He was very nice and showed me various models in the $900 to $1800 range.

I tweaked around with one being used to a EBG and frets to boot... and gradualy figured out a couple of melodies... Then I noticed they had a bow there. I figured it would be cool to try to bow it... and so I began to replay the little tune I was making up by bowing... man it was such a sweet rich and buttery tone. I had a lot of fun.

Now I am really thinking about buying one of these. They also were teaching a Viola lesson while I was there. That's another awesome sound... it was so mysterious sounding. :)

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Learning viola would be a pain. The music is written in neither bass or treble clef. It is in either alto or tenor clef...

Middle C is on the middle line, not below or above it :)

Talk about a fun thing to learn!!

3. Link

Link

Jul 6, 2002
    Latrobe, PA
    sadly i've never the opportunity to really get into cello... however... i'll say that violas pwn... it's a pain sometimes, but once you get warmed up it's okay... and taking music from treble or bass into alto cleff is pretty simple- wonderful sound- magnifcent instrument... okay, maybe not as great as the bass, but it's pretty close...