Cellphone charger

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LAST_C, Feb 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LAST_C

LAST_C Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Florida
    Hey folks.

It's the 21st century. Shouldn't all amps come with a USB port so you can charge your cellphone/tablet?

We all know how fast a cellphone can discharge, and some people use tablets instead of music sheets so I believe new amps should come with a USB port so you charge while you play.

Thoughts?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    No. A musical instrument amplifier is not a cell phone charger. My vote anyway.

Catbuster, 96tbird, Dave W and 32 others like this.
  3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Yes! If not at least a two prong convenience outlet for a charger.

The USB would be so simple, though.... What, 5 volts, maybe 1A?

I can see the counterpoint, too, but it does suck to have to run an extra extension cable for my phone since charging cords are so short (for good reason, but that's a discussion for OT)

droo46 and Helix like this.
  4. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Springtown, Texas
    Interesting thought. It might be a convenience, but it wouldn't sway my decision to buy it.
    I use some chargers plugged into a power strip at the base of my mic stand; One for my tablet, one for my Pageflip, and one for my hot spot device.

5. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Yes. And a 9V output for pedals.

6. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Have you actually set your phone on or near your amp and noticed the very loud electronic noises coming through your amp when your phone receives a notification? My phone does it as well as anyone in my band. We give each other the evil eye when this happens on a gig because it is a very loud noise.

No, I would not want a USB port on my amps. If I need a charge near the stage, I use an AC outlet plug with USB.

7. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    I agree, but I think this is(for me) a feature I'd want on a practice amp. During rehearsals, etc the phone is off.

alaskaleftybass and Felken like this.
  8. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
  9. LAST_C

LAST_C Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Florida
    I noticed that with older amplifiers. But at least with the one I have (Fender Rumble 100) I haven't heard anything. Most of the time I put my phone on top of my amplifier while playing and haven't had problems.

10. honeyiscool

honeyiscool

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I don't have this problem on an iPhone. Before the iPhone, yes, all the time.

BassLover668 likes this.
  11. LAST_C

LAST_C Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Florida
    The idea behind this is to carry less stuff. I have one of those portable batteries but I figured an USB port, in addition to charge the phone, can have other uses.

I recently stayed at one of those Inns, and they had a microwave in my room with two outlets and two USB ports. A microwave oven!

basscooker likes this.
  12. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

The REAL solution is for the cell phone makers to STOP trying to make the phones paper-thin, and put a bigger battery inside so it can run a couple of days without charging.
    It is ridiculous, in this day of technology, to see people camped on the floor in airports charging their phones at all available outlets. There should be no need for add-on battery packs and portable chargers.
    Samsung has started this ball rolling with a new phone that runs for 2-3 days - will the others follow?

13. I do. It all depends on proximity, by it can be in my pocket and the amp will still pick up the chirping. I wouldn't want a USB on my amp, but I can understand those that do. Might be a cool feature for a headphone amp.

14. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    As long as it doesn't explode ;)

15. basscooker

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    My reply was to this

16. Some Carvin combo amps have a USB phone charger built in

neddyrow likes this.
  17. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    I agree. For me this is a good solution. I ended up getting a mophie case a year or so ago, and it worked fine for me, although a little bit bulky. But when Apple changed the design of the headphone connection, it threw me for a loop. Maybe I shouldnt have gotten the iphone 7 but was convinced I could live without a separate headphone jack, since I was told bluetooth wireless is the "wave of the future". After getting a spendy wireless earbud system I quickly found out that wireless earbud technology actually sucks very much...maybe moreso on Apple systems, but the highest rated wireless earbud system worked absolutely terribly for me...constant cutouts. Bad sound, no bass. And...now my mophie case is useless with the iphone 7.

I would gleefully buy a cell phone with a *real* 2 day operational capability...real, meaning I can listen to music for a few hours as well as do some other online work without plugging in my phone every time I get into the car or get home.

But, I digress. No I do not want a USB port on my amp, and the noise I get from my phone at the amp is from an Iphone.

18. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

This is a solution looking for a problem. A lot of amps have an AC outlet on the back, just use your wall charger plugged into that. If it doesn’t have such a socket bring an extension cable.

The biggie here, for me, is that many amps have a problem with a cell phone placed on top of them. It’s something that you should not do.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  19. Another idea would be to build a 3-prong cable (the kind that is standard on virtually every commercial bass/guitar amp) with a usb outlet incorporated into it.

20. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I'd say no, this would be getting a bit silly IMO. It's not like it's common to play for more than say 4 hours so your phone would discharge that much during play. Just choose a device with a decent battery - there have always been those and my phones have always lasted for 2-3 days. I use a nice and pretty affordable Xiaomi these days with a 4050 mAh battery. If you want the lightest-thinnest phone in the market, well, it's a choice you conciously made when you bought it...

GregC and tbz like this.