Cellphone gripe (ATT/Cingular customer)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Apr 5, 2005.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I signed up for service a few months ago through ATT Wireless, which is now Cingular. I got the phone I wanted - a Sony Ericsson that is compatible with Apple iSync. I was somewhat annoyed that there was a dedicated button on the side to connect to the internet/data service (launch a WAP browser) AND that one of the phone's softkeys had been co-opted to ALSO do the exact same thing. Scroll through the desktop icons and you'll find TWO icons that will also do the exact same thing.

As you might guess, it's pretty easy to accidentally push one of those buttons by mistake. Heck, it's darn easy - the button to hang up a call becomes a hot key to connect as soon as a call has been terminated. Sooo... simply hit the "end call" soft key twice (I have a habit of hitting it twice to ensure I've ended the call) and you'll initiate a connection.

This month I've racked up almost $2 in data charges even though I don't use the data service - on purpose, anyway.

I called to have the data service disabled on my phone. No can do, apparently.

Frustrating. Makes me want to put a gun to my head. One with four triggers and no way to remove the bullets, naturally. :scowl:
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    See if you can change the function of the hot key to something else, like a calculator or something.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I was all prepared to jump in and bash AT&T since we just left them. It appears to me as though the phone is the problem, not the service.

You should look into changing the function of the key as canopener suggested.

4. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Can't reprogram the soft key, so go ahead and bash ATT... I've searched ATT/SE forums on this and confirmed. ATT took a softkey that provided some very USEFUL shortcuts and did away with it to provide a one-button way to launch the WAP browser... which might arguably be a real convenience for some, except that THE PHONE ALREADY HAS A DEDICATED ONE BUTTON WAY TO LAUNCH THE WAP BROWSER.

Can you say redundant? Can you say redundant? :(
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    They have a long tradition of sucking from the customers POV.
  6. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I like my Verizon phone... it's a Keyocera, and when you hit the button to connect, it has a verify message saying charges will occur and gives you the option to cancel. It does this will all the services not included normally in your bill actually. Sorry to hear of your troubles man... hope you figure it out :(.

7. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    here in nj/ny they did a rating on what service is the best, what service gives you the most bars for the area, the least amount of complaints and the best bang for the buck.

the winner was verizon. i have had verizon for 2 yearsnow and its soo good. i have had sprint, which sucked, and att, which is the worst by far.
  8. That stinks, Secret.

Personally, I believe anything like what you're describing that can accidentally give extra money to a phone company is no accident.

I have to echo what xshawnxearthx said about Verizon; their service is great. I've been with them almost a year and have no complaints whatsoever; my phone even works in the subway sometimes! :eek:

Any chance you can bail on Cingular and sign up with Verizon?

9. Verizon's service is excellent EXCEPT for their voice-mail system, which is atrocious. Sometimes i'll get sent the same message 3 or 4 times, and still have it come as new despite deleting it. Other times I'll call somebody and get my message bounced back, even if their box is empty. Even worse is when it "calls" somebody but they don't get a missed call message for 6-8 hours.
  10. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    complitely off topic but i want treo650 baaaaddddd:) tmob better get em soon...

PS.. verizon sucks.. if you want to get yelled at by customer service for something they did wrong and your credit history trashed go with them... they are awesome at that...
  11. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was a mostly happy Verizon customer for years. I switched because ATT had better hardware (phone) options. My Sony Ericsson phone syncs with Apple's iSync software, so I get calendar appointment/reminders, address book, etc. that syncs with my desktop computer's native apps via bluetooth. That's 90% of the practical functionality I'd want out of a palm pilot/palm phone without the bulk, fragility (palm phones are easy to break) and cost.

This has been my first real issue with ATT (now Cingular). As long as my accidental data charges don't go much above the $2 I incurred this month, I guess I'll live with it. I think it's patently wrong on principle to have a service that's so easily activated (see my gun with four triggers and no way to take the bullets out metaphor above), but life's maybe too short to fight or inconvenience myself over $2. :meh:
  12. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I've never had any such problems with Verizon in nearly 3 years (since I've been a customer)! I think your problems might be local.