Cellphone Warranties are a joke

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 5stringDNA, Feb 26, 2005.

1. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Well, I am on my third cellphone in two years, and I have stuck to major brands (Motorola, Nokia) , and without fail, every one I have gotten has come up with some defect that makes them essentially useless. Ironically when I go and talk to the people who sold it to me each time I get "Oh ya, we have had a lot of those phones borught in broken with that same problem- it was design defect". Are any cell phones not designed with a friggin defect?? Now under the warranty for any brand you can think of there is usually some clause that says "scratches on the body or display constitue evidence of abuse or misuse and will void your warranty". People keep phones in their pockets- it's gonna get scratched! Then, if you actually do get them to accept your return, then you have to mail teh piece of trash in and "allow 2-6 weeks for warranty service or replacement" before they mail anew one to you. 2-6 weeks?? The average cellphone bill is about $50 after taxes and fees. You can't suspend your service durign warranty and they won't reimburse you for "Consequential loss" as they put it. So you have to pay $50 so that you can use your warranty. BS I say. Once you actually get a replacement phone (since cell phones are disposable and tehy always just send a new one), then you have to re-enter all your numbers and information because the service representative won't give you an access code to load the numbers from your old SIM card. The only way to avoid all this nonsense is to buy some outrageously priced service contract from teh retailer, and the ones for cell phones cost an exceptionally high amount because they KNOW you will need it. The other option is to get a "free" new phone, but only if you extend you contract by another 2 years and get more entangled by the people who screwed you in teh first place.
    ARG!!! Anyone else have similar problems? Do I just ahve REALLY bad luck? I have to do this whole process at least once a year...
    Electronics companies are going downhill fast in general. Nothing I buy lasts half as long as the electronics I bought 5-6 years ago. Technology goes up adn quality goes down- I'm convinced.
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    My Kyocera slider is going on 7 months old, and it's not showing a bit of toruble at all. Heck, they contacted me and told me my battery is bad, and that they're sending me a new one, all I gotta do is send the old one back with the pre-paid sticker and their envelope! I honestly have had no troubles with it though. The only "trouble" I had with it was once it wouldn't make or recieve calls... so I took it in, and it turns out it was in airplane mode. I forgot, since I just flew down here for college that I put it on airplane mode (makes it so it doesn't send/recieve anything as to not distrupt comm.), so it was my fault to begin with. Hopefully that wont change...

3. Yea dude, I'm totally on the same boat. When I get home next weekend from college I'm going to have to have my phone replaced for the second time. The first time they charged me $50 because I was missing some useless plastic piece. They'd better not give me any trouble this time or I'll have to get violent and bust some caps. :meh:

Seriously, I don't subject my phone to any abuse. It always stays snug inside my pocket. I dont' drop it, and I don't take showers with it. Is it too much to ask for a phone not to die twice within a year?
  4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    that 5$ equipment replacement option? don't think of it as an option.

that said, the one thing I will miss about Sprint is my Sanyo8100. that phone has survived things no phone should ever experience.
  5. Kyocera seems to be a pretty good cellphone company... the one thing I learned is that their phones HATE water with a passion.

My motorola sucks the big one, and nikons seems to be all over the board.
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I've never had that kind of problem.... I'm on my 8th or 9th phone.... the only time I used my phone insurance was when I wanted a new phone - so I dropped mine in a glass of water :D
  7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Nikons you say... only a matter of time when Canon also jumps into the mobile phone market :D

I´ve had a number of Nokia phones and they have serviced me well.
  8. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    Never get Samsung. I went through 6 of the same POS Samsung phone. Eventually i just paid $150 for a new Motorola, and so far I havent had problems.

And.... cell phones/cell phone companies are the devil.

9. ..Ditto. My phone that's died twice in under a year is a Samsung. Motorollas aren't always great either though. A few years ago I had one in my pocket, and when I took it out, the antenna housing was shattered and the phone never got signal again. A friend of mine gave me his old nokia to fix it, and that actually never gave me a problem; (actually it did; I had to put duct-tape over the battery to keep it from intermittently diconnecting and shutting the phone off, but since that was fixable it doesn't count.)

PS: I actually own alot of samsung products, and the others have been great. My monitor is by samsung, and it's truly excellent, and is considered to be the best LCD available for games and movies. I don't know why the phone has been so mean to me. I think it might be tainted by Verizon's evil as the first issue I had (turning on, finishing turning on, starting turning off, finishing turning off with nothing in between) also occured on a friend's phone which was an LG. (also with verizon) It seems odd that two different companies would have the excact same issue with the phones...
  10. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Motorolla mad ea whole line of phones with defective antenna housings by design, but refuse to fess up to it in any legal capacity and replace people's POS phones, at lest this si what I was told by the sales rep. I should try a Kyocera next. You have been a lucky man Ray.

$5 blisshead? I wish! Try $100!!!!