Celtic, World Beat, alternative musicians/instruments

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassAxe, Nov 3, 2002.

1. BassAxe

Jul 22, 2002
    Culpeper, VA
    I'm trying to find websites where musicians post ads, but everything I've found is either flooded with guitar players or guitar bands looking to add bass players, keyboardists, and drummers.

I'm burned out on guitars and I'm not even old, yet.

Does anyone know where I can find websites where bagpipers, mandolin players, hand drummers, didgeredoo players and other non-mainstream musicians are looking for other musicians? I still want to rock. I still like funk and metal.

Yesterday, I came across something new in a music store I had never seen before: An Octave Mandolin. It is about the size of a guitar but tuned one octave below a standard mandolin. I tried it out and I fell in love it. It's about in the same treble range as a guitar without the guitar sound.
    Here's a nice one I found on the internet:

But my first love is bass guitar. I can't play both simultaneously in a gig.

One more story: I went to a local "Picker's Party": There was one bass guitar, one drummer, one banjo, and ten guitar players. They were all playing along. It was a total mess.
  2. David Watts

David Watts

Aug 12, 2002
    Hey bassaxe, I would try doing a websearch for a folk instrument store in your area. Here in seattle, there is a store called 'dusty strings' that caters to the bluegrass folk crowd. Excellent store, by the way.

I included a link to the dusty strings website. You could always send them an email to ask them what they would do in your situation.