Cement Mixer Truck Performance Specs...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Mar 7, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    My wife is IT geek for a large ready-mix concrete operation, and she was telling me about the presentation she sat in on for a truck tracking package that collects an amazing array of data on each truck in the field and transmits it to HQ in real time.

These mixer trucks obviously have a high center of gravity and are prone to tipping. The software records the truck's lateral acceleration in turns, so big brother can see if drivers are likely to tip their trucks.

My wife noted that 0.23 g's of lateral acceleration will tip a cement mixer truck. Compare that to skidpad performance of .85 or so for a good sporty car and about 1.0 for the best sports cars, on street tires, anyway. These skidpad figures are measures of the point at which the car slides into or out of the turn, not when it tips over, fortunately! :eek: ;)
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cement tucks need big spoilers and huge gyroscopes. Slap on some racing stripes, for added stability, a howitzer in case of traffic, and you have one bad ___ cement truck.
  3. are these front or rear-loading mixers?

some of the front-loading mixers look like they have a lower centre of gravity.

in the UK despite the narrow roads etc. there are quite a few 4-axle mixer trucks- I wouldn't want to be in a car one of those tipped over onto....
  4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    On the next Monster Garage with Jesse James and special guest Joshua "Blisshead" Ryan ...

5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
  6. I remember a guy who put two jet engines on a semi. It was like 0-210 mph in like 7.7 seconds.
  7. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Originally posted by Jason Carota

On the next Monster Garage with Jesse James and special guest Joshua "Blisshead" Ryan ...

maybe it will end up in the next "fast and furious" movie.:D :D
  8. i've seen a clip of a nuclear waste flask test in which the truck+trailer carrying it was fired along a track into a concrete block using rockets - result being the 3-axle cabover tractor unit being crushed to about 4/5 ft long:eek: