Censorship on TV, what's the use?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Blazer, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    I was watching some Beavis and Butt-Head episodes and they included one in which B&B were on a late show with a very right wing presentor who openly despised all youth culture. Which B&B took for every band and TV that sucked.

Then came this scene:
    Presentor: You both agree with me on that do you?
    Beavis: YEAH, THEY SUCK!
    Shocked noises from the audience
    Presentor: You can't say that word!
    Butt-Head: What word?
    The presentor leans forward to Butt-Head and whispers something in his ear
    Butt-Head: Hey Beavis, we can't say "sucks"!
    Beavis: Really? Well that sucks!

This is a funny example on censorship, but what's the use? EVERYBODY uses curse words so why all the fuss about trying to block them out? Kids learn those words sooner or later anyway.

But sometimes even networks get overboard with censoring such as cartoon network with Dragonball Z. Let's go back to 1996 when the Japanese animated show called Dragonball Z made it's way to the USA where it at first was dubbed by Pioneer.

But there were a lot of things in the original version that were considered unacceptable by Cartoon Network, which had the rights to broadcast the series. Dragonball Z is a series with a HUGE amount of violence and with good guys dying and that lead to the show being censored to the point of absolute madness.

For example in the US dub as done by Pioneer (later Funimation took over and left the series largely intact) when a character died, he did not die but "passed on to another dimension" the cells of the animation were altered so that the body of the one "passing on" would vanish into thin air.

This fact lead to some very important scenes being cut away. Such as the one in which lead character Goku arrives on the battle scene and sees to his horror that already four of his friends have been murdered by the bad guys. In the Cut version he just attacks becoming enraged for no apparent reason, in the uncut version we see him get mad, checking the (Still visible) bodies of his friends growing more enraged with the attackers as he confirms the death of each one.

But the "other dimension" itself also got a little modifications: the realm of the bad guys is ran by two crummy Demons called Goz and Mez, they wear these big tennis shirts with "HELL" written across. But the word "hell" itself was considered unacceptable by the censors so it was altered to "HFIL" which stood for "Home for infinate losers"

Firearms are another big no no, when leadcharacter Gohan stops a band of Bankrobbers their Gun fights have been removed from the action.

When Funimation took over a lot of the cuts were let go and the policy of censoring became a lot less ridgid save for one big exception.

And that exception was this guy.
    This is the grand champion of martial arts, he's actually not much of a fighter (certainly not compared to what the leadcharacters can do) he's actually more of a comic relieve in the series. But he does have his good points, he's for many the father figure they never had, he does give everybody on the planet a hero figure they all can look up to and feel safe too and he saves (in both cases through default) the earth twice. So what's the problem with this guy?

His name: his name is Mr. Satan. The original artist who created the series came up with Mr. Satan to ridicule devil worship, in one of the last episodes he saves the planet by convincing the reluctant people of the world to give their energy so that lead character Goku could defeat a villain who couldn't be defeated otherwise. the whole planet reponds by shouting "Satan! Satan! Satan" and lifting their fists up in the air to give their energy.

"Unacceptable" or so the US censors said so Mr. Satan was the only character in Dragonball Z that got a completely new name: Hercule.

The people who run CN are pretty harsh when it comes to death and anything relating to a hell and demons on Cartoon network.

BUT! Cartoon network also broadcasts the famous Loony Tunes and Hanna-Barbera toons. And in those we get to see:

1. Devils and the Hell.
    For example in Tom and Jerry Cartoons, The devil is portrayed as a big red bulldog with horns

Him in the powerpuff girls

The red guy in both "Cow and Chicken" and in "I Am Weasel"

2. Death and Murder
    again in Tom and Jerry Toons Such as the scene where Tom is blown up along with the whole house, which Jerry of course survives unharmed and we then see Tom's spirit fly up on a cloud with angel wings and a halo above his head looking dissappointed because he couldn't capture Jerry.

In a particullar loony tunes episode (don't ask me for the title, I could never remeber those) in which Daffy Duck and Bugs bunny lead a matinee and Daffy was constantly trying to outdo Bugs which eventually leads to him blowing himself up, which then has everybody praising his Etherial remains after the bang.

Sylvester being shot to death by Porky Pig because he kept him out of his sleep with his tomcat wailing, which then results in having Sylvesters's nine spirits haunting Porky pig.

In a Droopy cartoon where he inherites a large mansion a quite a sum of money, the other family member who was next in line began every scheme to murder Droopy so he would get the mansion and the money, his schemes of course failed.

3. Firearms
    Josemite Sam carries two big guns and is using them constantly.

Elmer Fudd does so too.

In many episodes of the Powerpuff girls the crooks they are fighting carry guns.

Roadrunner cartoons anybody?

Tom and Jerry?

Censoring, what's the use?
  2. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    You're thinking too much bro.
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Too many words..head hurts...

brad cook
  4. Brat

Jun 4, 2004
    NW Indiana.
  5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The idea behind censorship is that TV should be able to be a substitute for a parent. Sometimes parents nowadays can't be at home with their students because their too busy working to ensure that Bobby, or Julie, or whatever the hell that kid's name is, so that they can move to a nice neighborhood with a decent school, and so they can get a decent car that doesn't need to go into the shop every other week.

TV keeps the kids in the house, where they won't be going off to join gangs or do drugs or get some girl pregnant (or get pregnant themselves). There are a lot of things you can learn from TV also: like it's important to have a big house and nice clothes, and have people be jealous of your wealth. It's also important to have your teeth blindingly white. No, whiter that that. Hmm, maybe a bit whiter....yeah, I think that's good...for now anyway. How can a kid learn about these things when he has lots of boobies flashing in his/her face, or when he has a constant stream of obscenities being thrown at them! What is that teaching him?

I mean, obviously, kids aren't the only people who watch TV. In a perfect world, they would only be able to watch cartoons with silly animals falling off cliffs and blowing each other up, or shows with some underground super-heroic attack-squad that goes around destroying people they don't like. Unless these kids are under 8, in which case they should be taught numbers and the alphabet by fluffy, grotesque, otherworldly creatures. But we can't gurantee that is what's going to happen!

Think of the children!
  6. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    You ask what the purpose of censorship is?

Well thats easy... to offend fellow tb'ers, apparently :rolleyes:

7. How old is your article you posted? Seems a little out of date.

On CN, a show called Aqua Teen Hunger Force has a character named MC Pee Pants who died and went to hell. Then he was resurrected as Sir Loin, who also died, and then went to hell. Then he resurrected again, as Little Brittle, and died when he became a vampire and accidently walked into sunlight.
  8. also, anyone remember how Speedy Gonzales got banned from airing because some mexican americans found it offensive?
  9. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I can't tell you how sad, yet true, this is. Shame...

10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Way too much Dragonball Z, guy.
  11. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah...it's all those people from the Christian Right....like Tipper Gore.

brad cook

12. Thanks for referring to us christians as crazy. We really appreciate it. No, really. We do. :rolleyes:
  13. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, appreciate it, guys... :(
  14. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    It needed an adjective...

I was rather polite.

15. Why do you asssume everyone involved with the censorship movement are christians? Because you have a negative view of both?

I for one, am not a part of this censorship (although I think we can both agree censorship to a certain degree is needed).

I don't assume all atheists are one thing, please don't assume so for us.
  16. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I assumed everyone could sense I wasn't completely serious. When I said, "Christians." I was talking mainly about little old ladies that see something they don't like on TV and call the TV company and complain. And then call all of their old lady friends and tell them to complain too. A good example can be found at this mirror

I jest, not generalize.

I don't hate Christians and I don't hate people who support censorship, but they are both a little annoying in large doses.
  17. KeithPas

May 16, 2000

I happen to be a Christian and I could care less what is on the Cartoon Network or pretty much any other channel. Don't speak for me, I am capable of doing that myself.
  18. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Sorry Brad, I didn't read your last post. :rollno:

19. Even so, in your jest its not too hard to see you at least have a small axe to grind against the christian faith.
  20. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Hatchet. Tomahawk maybe.

Whichever is smaller.

Also, a very tiny whet stone.