Censorship Sucks!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TheFrizzleFry, Jun 11, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheFrizzleFry

TheFrizzleFry Guest

Nov 21, 2000
    Stinktown, Pa, USA
    I'm not trying to rattle any cages or anything, but why do we need moderators? Before a moderator gets PO'ed and just deletes the thread, hear me out. I didn't catch any of that "Jazz snobs Vs. Flea" incident, but I got the gist of it. I understand some of you jazzy players might be offended by being stereotyped as snobs, but according to that crazy constitution thingamababob we do have freedom of speech. Besides, we're big boys and girls now and if someone calls us a name, we shouldn't have to run crying to mommy (aka a moderator). Don't get me wrong, I like the moderators, they seem like some pretty cool cats, but I don't see much reasoning behind me.

*Please don't hurt me* :)
  2. Constitution? Which constitution would that be? We don't have a constitution where I am... at least they don't call it that. I suppose your constitution entitles you to say whatever you want. Try going to Iraq and calling Saddam a MF-SOB, then cite your constitution in defense. Good luck!

My point... we're all bound by the Talkbass.com Constitution. The rules are clear. The mods. are the enforcers, and it isn't important enough that I have to be writing this at 12midnight.

Good night.

3. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
  4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    ...and sadly enough, even the 2XBASSLIST is recently an example of how worthless a list can be if it's not either (1) moderated or (2) populated by subscribers or posters who respect each other and wish to make substantial contributions..NOT just yak on and on endlessly about absolutely nothing of consequence.
  5. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Frizzle - Apparently you never visited the old Lakland forum.

6. Maybe it is because I have been hanging out here for to long but, this site is the best Bass forum out there. The others, including the the one you posted are either full of crap or just plain boring.
    The site above is both.

If it is thought that censorship sucks then hang at one of the other sites for a while to realize how great TB is, this comment is not directed to you Frizzle, I am just saying people can complain about censorship all they want but if you compare TB to other forums this one is way above the rest.
  7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    How true! :eek: What a disaster THAT place turned into :(.

Frizzle -

We don't have what I'd term "censorship" here. If you have something of value (or even of no value, at least down in OT-land....you're welcome JT & jazzbo ;) ), and can share it in a respectful and polite way, you will be able to do so unmolested by the "enforcers". But, if you waste space in the wrong forum it'll be moved. If you are disrespectful, you'll be warned and your posts edited if necessary. If you cross the line of the forum rules, you'll get banned. That the constitution of TalkBass.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hello, Frizzle-

The reason Moderators are needed is because, although the majority of people who post in TalkBass are cultured, civilized, respectful, intelligent, talented AND corteous, there's a number of members who are NONE of those things and actually get a kick out of derailing threads and bringing the level of the conversations down to the lowest possible.

This board was created by one person (Paul) who obviously can't handle the business aspect of the site and check for content. If allowed to run free, the small percentage of people who are NOT cultured, civilized, respectful, intelligent, talented AND corteous could ruin the site for everybody.

Paul worked too hard to put this site up and run it to have some dufus ruin it, just because it's less work than having an actual hobby. I have looked around the web and frankly, I think this discussion board is among the best out there and it's gratifying to be helping keep it this way.

Why did I become a moderator? Because there was a need for one and nobody seemed to want to do it. When I first came to the board, half the bass guitar forums were unmoderated and the DB forum was virtually nonexistent. I volunteered to moderate and wound up with the Strings, Effects and Recordings forums. Later on, gmstudio99, who was moderating Basses and Miscellaneous decided to focus on Basses, so I got Miscellaneous too. I have since resigned from moderating those forums, as traffic had increased and more people willing to moderate came into the picture. More recently, I volunteered to moderate the Classifieds, as no one wanted to do it . Also,they as susceptible to being filled with garbage as any other forum.

Dude, either you're very new or your image of us is terribly distorted. We're not here to delete indiscriminately. Look, it's very simple. There are posting guidelines in place (It's the TalkBass Constitution, if you will). If a thread doesn't fit within those parameters (set by the person who created the site) it gets moved, edited or deleted. Simple as that. I guarantee that you wouldn't like TalkBass as much if we weren't here to keep it on course. As for being "big boys and girls", well, I don't think you know the age of every single member. We have had fourteen year olds on the board before. Plus, many TalkBass members are parents of younger children and shouldn't have to hide TalkBass from them. For crying out loud, I once had to delete a full frontal nude picture of Flea! I'm sure you're a big boy, but is this what you come here for?

Do you think we enjoy having to intervene when members find more amusement in flinging crap at one another than in discussing bass-related subjects? I know I don't, and if that's what someone comes here for, they're in the wrong place.

Al that being said, I'm very pleased with the level of civility in the Miscellaneous Forum. Thank you all for bringing such great ideas to be discussed.

9. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
  10. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Give someone an inch and theyll take a mile.What may be amusing at first quickly turns to annoying.If this place was to turn into a big free for all,Id be outta here.Imo the moderators do a good job of making this an enjoyable site to visit.Ive already bailed out of a few sites(mostly racing) that I used to visit daily because they turned into a playground of immaturity.Lets not let that happen here.
  11. Why must every thread go bad at one time or another. I'm sick of people who don't wanna go by the rules and be little babies about everything try to ruin what everyone else enjoys.

Can't we all just get along.
    ~Rodney King
  12. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    "Censorship" is a great media buzzword, isn't it? Conjures up all sorts of oppressive, totalitarian, Nazi-regime-type images, doesn't it? I like buzz words, they can be so powerful. Emotional-words. Don't they have a term for that, emote-vocab or some crap like that. All in all, just more buzz words. We have them in corporate America too! Proactive, "take ownership," team-player. I like buzz words. Gets things stirred up, huh? Gets peoples feather's ruffled.

What really is censorship, and is it proper in the context you use it? Now you can beat on me all day, I can take it, I don't mind, but I don't think "censorship" is the right word here. Look at intent. To me, making the subject of the thread, "Censorship Sucks," is done to create emotion, to convey oppression or a lack of freedom. And people don't like to have their freedom taken away.

The truth about the moderators, is that they're here to make this website as enjoyable as possible for the greatest amount of people as possible. Kind of a utilitarianistic approach. Kind of like democracy. And heh, isn't democracy borne out of utilitarianism?
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow! I threw in the "@$!@#"s to replace the real swearing in that post. I guess if you like having discussions typical of 3rd graders then that's a great place to go. I am very happy with the job the moderators do. Especially the ones in OFF TOPIC, (except for JT, he sucks!). :)

PS. I like playing oter instaments!
  14. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    I noticed that the link didn't work too, Freaky, but I decided that it would probably be better if it was a bad link. ;)
  15. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
  16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I guess this issue has been settled.

Thread closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.