1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Center Detent on Vol Pot not Detenting

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by architectonic, Apr 21, 2006.

1. architectonic

architectonic

Mar 26, 2006
    Denver, CO
    i have a new (2005) Ibanez SR900, that has Bartolini electronics--bridge and neck pups each with their own volume control, and a bass- mid- and treble-boost/cut. All of the controls have a center detent. Yesterday I was practicing and noticed that the volume control for the neck pup was turning smoothly from 1 to 11, if you know what I mean. No click in the middle.

Is it common for the detent to wear out?

Is it worth trying to replace it?

Is it a sign of worse things to come for the pot?

I don't think I have abused it through overtwiddling. I bought the bass less than a year ago, so I am surprised this happened.

Thanks for the feedback.

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Why would a volume knob have a center detent? That doesn't make sense to me. You sure you don't have a master volume control, and a blend control?

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Those do have a master volume/blend setup.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I never heard of a volume control with a center detent.

5. architectonic

architectonic

Mar 26, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yes, you are absolutely right. How did I forget that? (looks at shoes with reddened face) So, I guess the only upside to my feeling really foolish right now is knowing that nothing's broken!