1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Central Core Idea

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ebe9, Dec 9, 2006.

1. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I was thinking about this the other day and was wondering if anyone here has done it or knows of a luthier that does do it.

What I was looking at were basses where there are multiple laminates within the body itself, obviously the sort of bass where you have a figured laminate top on a central core of a specific tone wood and then perhaps laminate back.

What I am asking is if any luthiers will take a decent thinkness piece of luber and then route a cavity out of it and thin place another tone wood within it.

Basically what you wind up with is a container of sort where you have central wood that was place into the routed cavity hidden entirely because a back or front laminate has been placed over it.

You esentially wind up with a filled container, the filling being the other type of wood.

If I am not being clear I can post a picture of what I am talking about.

Just a rough text image of what I am trying to illustrate.

++++++++++ (top laminate)
    .=========. (filler wood)
    [__________] ("container into which the filler fits)

2. ok, why?

3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I'm not aware that anyone has done that yet. I've thought of doing something like that mostly in order to get a lightweight body without a chambered effect, by making a body middle slice of something durable and attractive, and filling it with basswood.

4. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

or balsa... :meh:

5. sounds like a variant on the Parker fly idea, except wood instead of pressure formed resin....I don't think it's be strong enough with maple outter and balsa core. ;)

Personally, I think this would end up more an excersize in "can it be done?" which of course is yes...but to what purpose? I can't see it sounding different than any other multi-lam design...

6. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    More curiosity than anything else.

Just going on the idea of maybe having a particular tonewood that you like but that is not the best when it comes to the natural finished look, thus use a "container of another more visually appealing wood for the look and the core for the bulk of the tone.

7. IMO, there wouldn't be much difference at all from a standard top/core/back lamination. First, the harmonics will still be filtered by the top wood before the core is involved at all - same as the standard lamination. Second, the area of real interest is at the edges of the body. The difference between a core going all the way to the edge and a "filled" core like described will be minimal at best. I don't think the edges of the body are that "active" when it comes to tone shaping. So you replaced the outer 1" of the body with a hardwood instead of a softer core selection. I can't see where that would have much effect at all except that you've successfully reversed any weight savings the chambered design had in the first place.

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I thought of that, but was afraid to say it...

9. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    As said it was more something out of curiosity that I thought up.

But surely the core part would come into play if the bridge was set into the wood and not mounted on top and of course anchored to the core wood?

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Maximal work for minimal effect.

You might have soem effect if you do fill with the proposed balsa, and set the bridge screw into that balsa. The effect will be mud, until the bridge comes loose from the string tension.