Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ceramic bars underneath pups

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by maurilio, Dec 28, 2005.

1. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi,
    I'm interested to know what kind of effect the ceramic bars underneath a pups (i.e. Dimarzio ultra jazz) have.
    Output, tone....

Thank you

Mo'

2. vyvyn mtl

vyvyn mtl

Dec 26, 2005
    It seems to me the the magnets have to do with output gain. More magnets will give you a chunkier tone. I don't know about the jazz pickup. I have used super distortions. Wich are actually very clean. Al DiMiola used them. Kiss My Axe! St. Vitus used them. I have had X2n's(Chuck Shuldiner) Megadrive(Twisted Sister) Evolutions(Steve Via) So far the Evolution neck pickup has been my favorite neck pickup. It is not muddy when I play with alot of gain and I can still get a decent clean sound out of it. I have used a Duncan Invader in a BC Rich. It is only good for Death Metal. I like to play anything I can so I like versatility. Anyways. X2n's and some other high gain pickups have magnets on the outside of the poles too. Get a multimeter from radio shack. They are not too expensive. Use it to read the impedence of your pickups. Stock pickups are usually between 8 to 10 ma. I think the duncan Invader is around 21. The pickups that came in my Ibanez were around 8.5 and they had three magnets. I don't know if the outer magnets cause the pickup to have a wider field. I have put more and less magnets on pickups while reading them with the multimeter and the impedence does not change. The more gain you have the less frequency response you will have. I took the outside magnets out otf an X2n. It has two rail pole peices. I took a rail coil from a megadrive that seems to be half wound and put it in the X2n. It seems better to me of course I should get another one so I can a/b them. I have been playing guitar for 13 years. I recently ordered a lefty Kramer five string fretless from Southpaw guitars. I found this site while doing research on Gibson because I didn't think Kramer made guitars anymore. I hope they don't do what the did with Steinberger. I loved my friends nightswans. Even upside down. Not a big Gibson fan though. Hope this helps. sorry for the run on sentences. I love going on about gear. What kinda stuff you into?
    vyvyn mtl Very Metal! Do you like the Young Ones?

3. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hey, thanks.

I'm not at all into hard rock, metal and similar. I'm a old school fan!
    I play (and listen) blues, jazz, Motown, classic r'n'b, classic rock, some country.... :)

Honestly, the only "hard rock" I've been into was VH.

Thanks to take the time to answer me.

Mo'

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

generally they brighten tone but I've ran across bits and pieces from time to time regarding other affects. Wasn't of any particular interest to me so nothing I latched onto.

Give DavidRavenMoon an email. He makes pups and will know. If you PM him, may be a while cuase haven't seen any TB posts from him for a while but I'd imagine he'll respond if you contact him email.

5. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Hey,
    thank you.
    I will.

Happy new year.

Mo'

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

don't know if you ever contacted David and what he had to say but you might toss out a brief post to as much to save him possibly having to regurgitate the same thing to someone else on down the road.

The other thing is I just got another set of Fender Noiseless J's and this is a clip from a related correspondence.

One thing I noticed immediately was yours had ceramic mags. The other set I've got doesn't. I had noticed a rough texture to the bottom of those pups but I assumed it was associated with padding and the thought someone may have removed ceramic mags never crossed my mind - but now I'm assuming that's the case. I can't find a single pic of the bottom of a Noiseless pup or mention of the ceramic mag in descriptions on the net. Do you by chance KNOW for a fact whether ceramic mags are standard on these pups or if possibly that was done for the signature bass?

Bottomline is, I've got a set of the same pups, one with and without the ceramic mag to do a side by side. I plan on putting that together within the next week or so. Plans don't always go as planned but this should be a pretty pat situation.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

got around to a comparison with Fender Noiseless J's

"Affect of ceramic magnets on......"

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2653283#post2653283

8. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Hi there,
    sorry it took me so long, but I'm kinda busy :smug:
    I didn't contact David, unfortunately, yet.
    I'm going to read your review, right now.
    thanks for the reply, appreciate.

Mo'

edit: just checked your review, mmmmh, that's interesting!