1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Ceramic or Alnico pickup on a MM Stingray 5?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Baker69, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    Hi all,

I've just bought a used Musicman Stingray 5, I'm not sure on the build year but according to the vendor he thinks it was made between 2007-2009, is there a way if identifying whether it has a Ceramic pickup or an Alnico one? I read that EB reverted back to fitting Alnico pickups around about this time?

Cheers.

2. KaseOfBass

KaseOfBass Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    peter-j likes this.
  3. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    Thanks for the info, I’ll send them an email, hopefully as you say they will give me full details and spec on the bass as well as the manufacturing date.

Bardolphus likes this.
  4. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    remove it and look at the bottom. if you see 2 magnet bars then its ceramic. If you only see the pole pieces then its alnico

peter-j, Geri O and Killed_by_Death like this.
  5. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    Good call BassLife 77! I think it could be a 2007 or 2008 but at least this should clarify this as Bardolphus says they reverted back to Alnico in 2008.

6. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    I've sent EBMM an e-mail so hopefully they'll be able to come back to me with some more info on the bass very soon.

7. Baker69

Baker69

Mar 24, 2008
    I did actually get a reply back from EB and they have told me it's a 2001 model, so it will definitely have the Ceramic Pickup.

It still looks quite new, I can't believe it's now 17 years old!

two fingers likes this.
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 12, 2021