1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ceramic vs alnico - sound samples search

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NuBel, Mar 25, 2006.

1. NuBel

NuBel

Mar 24, 2006
    Hi!

I'm going to replace pickup in my MusicMan style bass and I have a problem in choosing between alnico and ceramic. I know what sound I am searching for: I want some nice growl and I do not want transparent round and deep sound like in bartolini P-bass for example. There were some pieces of information about how ceramic and how alnico pickups sound like but there was always description in words, and that is not enough for me. I think that better for me would be ceramic pickups but still I am not absolutely sure. I realy would like to HEAR tha difference to make sure that that sound is exactly what I'm looking for.
    So, does anyone of you know any web page with sound samples that I could compare average alnico and average ceramic sound? Or anyone owns such samples and could send it to me? (nu_bel@poczta.onet.pl) Or anyone could help me in any different way?

P.S. I was searching the web and I was searching few forums (this too) so I'am asking for help not because I'm lazy but because yet I couldn't find anything about it.

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Again these are words but I have found the ceramic to be a little harsher than the Alnico which is smoother. If you want growl...Ceramic may be the ticket but I had a Music Man Sterling and found it had lots of growl on its own. Cannot see why you would want to change pickups if you are looking for growl. It is about the growliest bass on the market.

Ah, just read you have a "musicman style bass" and not a Musicman bass. See if you can get some original MM pups.