1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ceriatone Anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu L., Aug 30, 2007.

1. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Anyone heard of Ceriatone Amps? I stumbled upon him looking at amp kits, and well, a few emails later we're discussing a custom amp. I've read most of the HC reviews, and everyone seems happy with the product. Prices seem very fair too.

So, never mind the fact that I don't know too much about tube amps, it's going fairly well I think. Any knowledge will be appreciated.

www.ceriatone.com

2. Thor2

Thor2

Sep 30, 2006
    These are amps built in Malaysia and are clones of famous amps. They are sold as kits or prebuilt.

I have never played one. There is a current broohaha over at The Gear Page, as it has come to light that the company is not just cloning amps, but is stepping on trademarks as well (names and logos).

Those that have played through them have positive things to say about them (though I have not heard any reviews of their bass amps), but one must weigh the good value against what would appear to be shady business practices....

Cheers,

Edward.

3. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    In my very limited time over at TGP, I noticed that they seem to be up in arms about everything ;).

I don't mind a clone, until trademarks are stepped on. Then (IMO) you just have to weigh what the infringment was. TGP doesn't like anything cloned. And that's ok too.

Nik did say that he doesn't know too much about bass amps, and is asking me for insight on a few items. Which is ok with me, as I seem to prefer guitar amps (playing a Blackfaced Fender Bassman at the moment).

Thanks Thor2 for the input. And all others will be appreciated.

4. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Just bumping this, and asking a question. Any thoughts of a Fender style preamp into about 200w of 6550 power tubes? Is there an amp already on the market that sounds like this? :help:

5. I have never heard of ceria before, but have you ever looked at Weber's amp kits. He's got an SVT knockoff in the works right now, but I don't know if it's ready yet. It's not a clone, but more like an "inspired by" design, so he's hammering out some circuit options.

6. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I've heard of Weber, but never checked him out. Anyone know if you can get the Weber's prebuilt? I could probably do a good job building a kit, I've done some amp work and built a few pedals, but I'm always a little cautious with high voltages. I'll dig around that site and see what I can come up with.

I think my problem is I'm afraid of just having 100w, and don't want 300w. I'm very happy with the tone of the 50w blackface Bassman I've been borrowing, but it's time to get my own amp. The 50w barely cuts it as is (volume between 7 & 8, with no gain control). Thanks PBG!

7. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    I GAS for the Ceriatone Superbass 100, hopefully will be my next head.

8. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Wow, blast from the past :D

After many emails with Nik, I ended up with a Traynor YBA200. I found Nik to be very helpful, and knowledgeable. At the time, he did not offer a 200 watter, but was willing to draw some plans up. The Traynor just came along at the right time, and was cheaper. I do see myself getting a Ceriatone something in the future though.

9. Andy_colassal

Andy_colassal

Nov 21, 2006
    Regina, SK
    I was looking to see if anyone had experience with Ceriatone, Nik is a very knowledgable guy!

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  11. Rvl

Rvl

Dec 23, 2003
    Aomori Japan
    Will the TW be ok for bass?
    I sent off an email asking if they will make a Ampeg B15 clone

For all acoustic shows , I am using my tube Fender Champion with a 1x12 cab and it sounds great with bass

Thanks

Robert VanLane

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I can't see why not... a pair of EL34 should be 35 to 50 watts. Seems like a straight forward design.

13. i've exchanged a few emails with nik and i have nothing but good things to say. he was extremely helpful and the ceriatone amps i have heard in person sound fantastic!