1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Certain bass notes disappear

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Smallmouth_Bass, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Have you ever experienced certain situations when certain bass notes disappear when you are playing? I've played a couple of rooms that for some reason, when I play a low Eb, the volume really goes down in comparison to the other notes. Is it possible that certain rooms gobble up certain frequencies and therefore give a perceived drop in volume or tone? Have any of you experienced this before?

2. sinophysiker

sinophysiker

Feb 7, 2006
    Shanghai
    It's reason able. Ordinarily, each sound absorbing Material has its own absorb spectrum. Rooms too I guess.

3. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    it could also be deadspots!! on the neck....obviously not if its room dependant.

4. yeah, sometimes a hollow stage absorbs some notes, and accentuates others.
    the trouble is, you tend to try and compensate by thrashing out the dead notes and going lightly on the boomy ones, but out front they may sound even.

5. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    you are experiencing 'standing waves' .depending on the room, materials, shape, your position etc the waves can do all sorts of things, like resonate materials and seem louder, or bounce around and cancel themselves also, a lot of bass notes (especially lower ones) are very long, some more than 40 feet. the wave has left the room before ending. you cant hear it, but the guy outside paying his cover charge can hear it great.

thats why in a bar, the bass and drums sound kicka$$ in the bathroom. those low waves penetrate materials and keep going, unlike highs that reflect and bounce around.

6. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    That makes sense. The notes are definitely not dead spots.

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

It's because Montreal has different laws of physics then the rest of the world!:p

8. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    I notice that too, whenever I play my G (3rd fret E string) it is really loud and boomy in my room compared to the other notes, just has to do with the room I guess.

9. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    :D

Joe

10. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    HAHAHAHAHA! good one:D

11. Ha, I would have guess the great hi octane brew up there!
    Upper Yukon,,,yummmmm , Moslon Stock Ale... yummmm...

12. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I think so - the church I used to play in would do that to F# (our worship leader was the first to notice it...). I'd have to hit that F# really hard to hear it at all. Not sure if it was room or band dynamics, but it was consistent week to week...

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    The recording room at my school does that! It sucks the F# right up! Seems like everyone would rather play a G instead.

14. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Sounds about right for a low B, yes.

Not quite sure I follow the physics here, although the phenomenon sounds familiar.