Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

certain Fender Jazz neck...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by graniteboy, Aug 24, 2000.

1. graniteboy

graniteboy

Aug 15, 2000
    Fellas,

Several years ago, I saw Paul McCartney playing a very attractive Jazz that I've never been able to find in person. Just last month, I saw what looked like the same model played by the bass player in a bar band, but unfortunately, didn't get a chance to ask him about it.
    The bass has a traditional sunburst finish, and a rosewood(?) fingerboard with white binding and white, or maybe mother-of-pearl block inlays. I love the effect of the blocks, which are much more attractive (IMO) than the 'dots'. I'm wondering if this particular bass is exclusive to a certain year, or if in fact I may be able to find one new without having to have it made 'Custom shop'.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

GB

2. While I'm no expert in Jazz basses and I'm sure that I'll be corrected if I'm to way off here goes:

I think the bass is probably a post CBS Jazz from the late 60's. I think that the rosewood/MOP combination was more prevelant in this range. The maple/black combo was more common in the 70's. I know that the pre-CBS versions had dots without binding generally and that's where I draw my conclusion. It is probably rare and worth quite a few coins from Penny Lane.

3. I would also bet that you're in the ballpark, hambone because my bass looks exactly like the one described,except
    it's a P-bass without the white binding.The maple necks got popular around '73-'75.