1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Certain Sound...Justin Chancellor Content

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by John D@508, Nov 27, 2010.

1. John D@508

John D@508

Aug 7, 2010
    Milford,MA
    I have only been playing for a few months. One of my favorite bassists is Justin Chancellor of Tool. I like his sound.

Im sure his technique has a lot to do with it but how does Justin get that sound? What effects does he use? Im sure his board is loaded.

Also how would you describe that sound he has?

Thanks for helping a new guy.

2. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    I've always wondered that too! :oops:

3. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Specificity is awesome to the max.

4. John D@508

John D@508

Aug 7, 2010
    Milford,MA
  5. John D@508

John D@508

Aug 7, 2010
    Milford,MA
    You are too vague in your reply....what exactly are you talking about?

6. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

May 30, 2010
    Lol touché!

To the OP

Your setting your goals quite high. Tools sound is unique and Justins choice of effects are huge. Also, if you see them in person you'll see that a lot of the Tool sound us generated in studio. This does not take away from Justins tone,it's still cool as ****.

Im no Tool expert by any means, but maybe just start tuning to DADG, which is whats used in most songs,grab a pick and start messing around with EQ, maybe that will get you closer. Read that thread as referenced above. Lot of great info and interesting too.

7. Sam Hain

Sam Hain

May 30, 2010
    Here's what you are up against.

8. 90% of Justin's tone is the Wal bass. It has a very distinct growl to it that will be extremely hard to duplicate. As for effects, he uses quite a few pedals, but doesn't really use anything all that exotic or hard to find. Check out the thread that was linked above for his signal chain.

9. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    Actually I can do a really killer JC by doing the following...

1. Running my custom made bass equipped with twin reversed custom wound by Stan Hinesley p-bass style pu's and custom tone pots tweaked in accordance with my Sansamp RPM, GK 1001 rb MarkII and Electronix Designer Submarine for his clean tone.
    2. For his gritty tone I use my McSpunkle Gnomeratron VTF.
    3. Then for his super heavy distortion tone I am running my Fuzzrocious Rat Tail thru my Xotic X-blender blended just over half along with the Gnome and there you go! :cool:

10. SgtKrinkle

SgtKrinkle

Nov 3, 2010
    I've been tryn for a really long time to dial my delay to the settings for jambi, I've noticed that guy is using a giga delay it looks like, going back on topic to the main question, for effect wise, look for boss bf-2 (flanger) and a pro co rat (distortion) start with that n mess around with a few songs such as 46&2 and h. etc. To push the sound a bit further invest in a digitech whammy, the bass version is discontinued, normal one is missing a few harmonies for a few songs, also a boss ce-5 (chorus) and a boss dd-3 or dd-5 or dd-6 will also work (delay). I've been on the same hunt as you for a while, its gonna cost some cash but those are the just the bare of the basic effects he's constanly using, I advise lookn on craigslist or ebay, (that's what I did) save some cash by doing so

11. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    On top of what I posted, I use a Boss BF-3 and a Keeley modded Boss DD-3 and I get it all!

12. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Is that a foxx wah he was using? The big green one next to the tonebender

13. Yup, used for the fuzzy wah bridge in The Pot

14. ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    was green a custom color or something dont see any green ones. with my new set up thinking of replacing my tel ray PWF this might do the trick

15. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    They are available in Black, Red, Green, Yellow, Purple, and Blue.

16. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Is the Wal the best bass for metal? And for that matter, how can I get the guy from Muse's's tone with $200 in gear? And, for that matter and this one, whats the difference between a P & J bass?

17. ampegfuzz

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    yeah just found it but looks like all are out of production. it sounds cool anyone have clips other then "tool"

18. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    The only other bassist I know of that used one was John Wetton in his KC days. It wasn't a Foxx, but it was a clone of that same circuit. It's at about 4:15 of this video: