Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

certain sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by sams, Apr 26, 2001.

1. sams

sams

Mar 20, 2001
    East Orange, NJ
    I am looking for a rich, warm sound and yet a crisp sharp sound when I pop. Does anyone have any recommendations on what brand of strings I should purchase? Should they be hand-made strings? Thanks for any input....

2. It sounds like you've described DR's. I'm about to try a set of them myself.Most likely I'll go with the ones that are nickel plated.(Dang,I keep forgetting what they're called.) Gee, a big help I am.

3. I think you mean DR Sunbeams. Very good string IMO. I prefer them over all others because they have good low end as well as sparkle on the top. they sound almost like a Stainless Steel string to me except they don't have the harsh finger noise.

Strings are a personal preference. Be open minded and choose the strings that you like the best.

4. That's it.I've played the Low Riders and they felt pretty good,but I'm really partial to nickel plating.Sams,Let us know what you've chosen and how it goes.

5. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    They also make the LowRiders in nickle. Currently, I'm a DR HiBeam user. I might try some of the other DR offerings when my current set goes dead.

6. Funny you mention that. I have the nickel plated loRiders on my '78 PBass now. Good sound. It is a new bass for me so I am getting used to the charactor of it still. I am not sure how different strings will effect the sound. I guess what I am saying is, I have no control group to compare them to. Know what I mean?