1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Certain strings for a certain bass

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Boostedrex, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Forgive the n00b question, but I'm curious. Do certain strings seem to work better on certain makes/models of bass? I have been searching this forum for a while now without any luck. I have an Ibanez SR500 and the stock Elixers are about ready to be replaced. (the coating is starting to fray off pretty bad in the lower frets) I was thinking about switching over to some DR Black Beauties, but I'm just not knowledgable enough yet to know if I'm making a wise choice. I'm also still a beginner so I won't be able to get the most out of any string I use yet. I just want something with a nice tone, fairly easy on my fingers, and a string that will last. Thanks in advance all.

Zach

2. You'll get all sorts of opinions on this, but I'll say "Yes". For example from my own experience, I really like the growl of DR Nickel LoRiders on a Spector, but not on a Fender Precision.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Whew... I thought this was another thread about David Certain and Certain basses.

Answer: String choices are 99.9% personal choice. What one person LOVEs in a string on a specific bass, another bass player will say they absolutely HATE. All comes down to preference of tone, feel and technique. And for many... 'cost'.

4. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Good deal. Thanks for the fast repsonses guys. I have to admit that I do like the tone I'm getting from the stock Elixir's that are currently on the bass. But the strings are really starting to look like shyte and I can imagine that they are not sounding as good now as they did new. The bass is 8 months old (I'm the 2nd owner), so this is speculation on the current string condition.