Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ceruse finish

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by boofis, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Hey
    I'm getting a new bass in a while and I'm going to do the finishing and stuff etc. and I want to know how to get that Ceruse finish F bass uses. I probably won't use it I just love how it looks and it fascinates me! And can you stain and then put hand rubbed oil? And where can I get a satin oil finish done? THANKING YOU! ROCK ON! :bassist:
    Thanks
    Troy

2. Pete skjold

Pete skjold

May 29, 2004
    Warsaw Ohio
    You can stain the wood and then apply oil . As far as the look you are going for , it involves sealing the grain (or filling the grain). I don't know How George at F Bass does his finish but I do a finish that gets a very similar look. You will need to use a wood that has very open grain patterns such as swamp ash to get that look. I apply heavy coats of oil on the grain patterns . After you fill in the open grain you will need to sand off the sealer so the wood will accept the stain. The Stain will color everything except the open grain because it will be filled. I use Tru-oil as a sealer and as a finish for oil type finishes. You should test everything on a piece of scrap to make sure you are getting the desired look.
    If you are using wood that is very tight grained you won't get a very dramatic effect, so make sure its the right type of wood.
    This is just one approach, I'm sure there are others you can choose from to get the same type of look. I hope we'll hear some more on this type of finish.