1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cerwin Vega

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pickinator, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Pickinator

Pickinator

Dec 28, 2011
    Eagle River WI
    As some might know, I have been a drummer for a much longer time than a bass player and was in a band whose bass player had 2 large Cerwin Vega cabs. I believe they may have had inverted 18's in them? Correct me if I'm wrong. He also had a couple of horn drivers. They had awesome power. He could make the whole place just throb with sound and talented. The cabs were red.

I was just wondering if there are any old Cerwin fans hiding among us?:eyebrow: Although I haven't been here at Talkbass long, I haven't seen anything written about Cerwin Vega.

Are Cerwins good at producing the lows and not so good at articulating the mids and highs.

Killer Of Giants likes this.
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Pickinator,
    Cerwin Vega is still very much in business, with professional line products, and the cabinet logos are still red. CERWIN VEGA PRO AUDIO

In the 70's they did have a pretty good rep for bass enclosures and they did make an 18" folded horn.

Attached Files:

3. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    back in the 70's, I used a Sunn Concert Bass head and a Cerwin Vega B36MF cab (folded 18 with a front loaded 12)...

I remember it being a big loud rig, that was a touch mid honky...I wish I still had it though...lol

4. SO DID I, then a Cerwin Vega bg250 head...prefered the Sunn

Attached Files:

fourteenstrings likes this.
  5. Pickinator

Pickinator

Dec 28, 2011
    Eagle River WI
    I see by the cab weight why most bass players may not want to haul these 160 to 228 pounders.

I'm a bit sad by the product line offered; no bass amps and no real bass cabs. They seem to be pushing strictly PA systems.

I keep looking back to Carvin?:ninja:

6. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Most ferocious bass sound I ever heard was Matt Hurich (Leatherwolf, Stryper) playing a Rickenbacker 4002 through a Cerwin-Vega stack (unsure about model for head or cabs) in the early 1980's at the Woodstock Concert Club in Anaheim. Unbelievable clank and grind. Couldn't believe it when he traded it in on a P-bass and an SVT.

7. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    It was a beast. Played through one and loved it at the time.
    [​IMG]

8. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    my bandleader had a 4 old cerwin vega pa cabs down in the basement. We tried them as bass cabs loved them but they were monsters. they easily weighed 150 pounds a piece and had a single 18 or 21 in them im not sure which. But were crazy loud they made great bass cabs but were too heavy for lifting up on stage all the time. 6645723093_fc5c475069.
    IMG_20110824_194300 by spaz21387, on Flickr

9. hoey23

hoey23

Jan 1, 2012
    I just bought a used Cerwin Vega sl-36 from a friend. Utilized it at a gig last weekend, ran the synth into it and put a mic on the kick drum. It produces stupid amounts of thump. Next time we drag this monstrosity out i'm gonna run my bass through it.

10. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Never used a CV rig, but the 18" speakers were the choice of 2 of the monster bass rigs of the 70's, Sunn's 118VH and Acoustic's 301 and 360. Both are still monsters even today with ground shaking and articulate bass! :cool:

11. What Oren said....

I also own an old Sunn 118-vh.

"vh" equals: VEGA HORN LOADED cabinet. This is a Sunn version of a similar C/V cabinet.

The only thing better than one ....is running two!

These are rated @ 4 ohms..ideally suited for vintage Sunn or Acoustic heads, which are 4 ohms and run ideally @ 2 ohms for full power.

The 118-vh is a unique horn loaded cab. It is not a W-Horn like Acoustic 301 and similar.

One advantage of this horn variant is that there is no loss of highs..HighD# on G String is as loud as Low E. Also, you can clearly hear yourself onstage, whereas W-Horns throw sound too far off stage.

Still these monsters throw sound.. with the sound 'bloomimg' about 40 feet from stage.

These will fill any room..best in a long/deep hall, where Bass will be just as loud-n-clear at back wall as on stage.

[Buy 2 and use them for lamp tables when not onstage..LOL..]

Newer C/V cabs are rated @ 8 ohms and probably used more often as PA subs than as electric bass cabs.

old spice likes this.
  12. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Yea - zon detailed it well. He's on a mission to obtain as many "lamp tables" as possible. I constantly watch for suspicious lurkers nearby and have my 2 Sunn 118VH's under heavy security. He must have a large collection of lamps needing tables. Thing is, his wife's quite the lamp table person herself. ;)

13. ....Oren knows that Mrs Zon6 is very supportive in my persuit of such 'lamp tables'...with HER check book at the ready...

...Hmm.... could not choose and attach 'hyper smiley'.

Another variant is the Sunn 1x15 sh and 2 x15 sh.

When viewing Entwistle's latter equipment.. there is an Ashdown version, as well as some huge Sunn 18" bins I have never seen other than with Entwistle's equipment list.

14. I played through the full-size Cerwin-Vega BG-250/Earthquake cabinet stack during the early 1980's, loudest rig next to an SVT at the time I can remember playing through. It literally shook your guts. Traded it a few years later for guitar gear, and a year later we audition a bassist and he had my old rig (small world). He still has it in his garage.

15. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I hope someone can help me remember the model.. but in the late 70's I sat in on a jam session at the Blue Moon tavern in Seattle and the bass player had a Cerwin Vega cabinet that looked like it was cut in half. Literally no more than probably 30-33" tall. It had red on it, and the folded horn was on the bottom of the cabinet--But MAN! that cab had bottom end. Loved how it looked and how it filled the room with big bass.

16. 1bassplayinfool

1bassplayinfool -Nowhere Man- Supporting Member

B36?

600_cerwin_vega_b36_22590347.

17. I remember that speaker cab, our bass roadie had that in his rig, I had the taller one. I can't remember any of the model numbers, I don't even think a Google search would reveal that much info.

18. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    While still in college, I worked as a field service tech for Cerwin Vega. While the name is still around, there is no real relationship between today's company and the company that was run by Gene Czerwinski. Gene was a clever, creative engineer with ties to the cinema market (they built Sensurround amps and speakers for the movie "Earthquake", I tech'd one of the systems at a tradeshow back around 1978 or 79 and it was impressive. Earthquake fx tracks on 15IPS 1/2-track tape, some serious dynamic range (for the time), some big amps (250/chan, big for the time) and plenty of rig for the gig. I think I had 3 amps and 6 of the B-36 cabinets.

Their primary success was getting robust low end at relatively high efficiency, done through optimizing cabinet design using fairly ordinary (but still good quality) parts. They were very successful until the onslaught of really cheap competitors, and the migration towards box stores. I believe they went through bankruptcy but were unhealthy before then. They also were an OEM supplier of drivers to some ofthe MI companies (such as Fender)

Gene was an aerospace engineer at a company known as Bendix, working on radar products. While there, he designed one of the very first successful (single channel) solid state audio power amps and ultimately left to form his own company (Vega Labs) which became Cerwin Vega. I mention the Bendix connection because quite a few engineers and managers in the music industry got their start at Bendix, several high level folks from the company KMC Music (formerly Kaman Music) started at Bendix and went on to either the Kaman Music or Aerospace divisions. Back in the 60's and 70's, America was both a brain truct as well as a manufacturing powerhouse, these large brain trusts trickled down a lot of great designers who found other interests more near and dear to their hearts. These guys were very, very smart and I am glad to have had an opportunity to see a bit of this side of our industry.

19. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    It was like that but a little shorter and INVERTED. Traynor made one also that was almost a copy(INVERTED type). The one I had was factory fiberglassed instead of carpet, weighed a ton, and kicked a$$.

fourteenstrings likes this.
  20. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Agedhorse, thanks for sharing the knowledge and some of the history.
    I too played through a B36MF (it was one loud MF!) back in the day and loved it.