1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Cerwinski Lab??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Redbrangus, Apr 15, 2019 at 4:56 PM.

1. Spotted this on the local Craigslist:
    "Hi everyone for sale is a pair of Cerwinski Lab subwoofers BASS HORNS in near perfect condition. great for a band , Dj , club , church . "

This is the link: Cerwinski Lab bass horn subs speakers

The pictures appear to be of a Cerwin-Vega-type horn-loaded bass enclosure, a la the B-36. Has anyone ever heard of them? Just wondering if this is a new incarnation of the old Cerwin-Vega brand-name, or is it just a piracy? The 'Cerwin' part of the name was a derivative of Gene Czerwinski's own name, but he's gone on now...last I heard, the brand name belonged to Gibson. If it IS a piracy, they might have found an effective way around the sticky trademark infringement issues.

2. I know nothing about them, but Google is your (only slightly helpful) friend.

what the flock????? Is this for real? | Harmony Central

From that thread, someone relating info from the defunct web site:
    About the company - Co-owners name is Steve Cerwinski. Can't figure out if it's Gene's son or not, but, from the pic on the website, his age appears to make it plausible.
    A few bones remain of the Internet Archive, no graphics but some advertised specs from 2009. More recent snapshots just give me a message to update my flash.

Redbrangus likes this.
  3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Someone is is being "artistic" with a spray can. It's not a brand.

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I summarized Cerwin Vega as a company in that HC thread

5. There was a pic of an input panel with the name screened on it...it's an actual product.

Also in that thread, someone posed the question "Why would anyone even want to copy those bins?", which is a sentiment I share, except I still find people (mostly club owners) who think the Cerwin bass cabs were the greatest thing that ever happened to the low end.

6. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
  7. I guess that answers that. Sounds like he was yet another old-timer who couldn't or didn't want to stay away from the industry he had a hand in creating. That's not an unfamiliar phenomenon.

Nice bit of sleuthing, @Rick James (and @NecroticImbecil, and others)...thanks.

Digression: I still remember walking near a downtown theater that was showing "Earthquake" when it was in it's original release, with "Sensaround" sound. All the exit doors of the auditorium were rattling like tambourines. And I wish I had a buck for every time someone represented some piece of gear as having been a part of "the original Earthquake system"

Further digression: Now that I look at the realtor's listing for that house, I'm starting to think I live in the wrong part of the country. It shows a 7000+ ft home on 9+ acres with 2000 ft of shop and garage space. In Simi Valley, and with an ocean view, no less...for $2 million. It's still out of my range, but that seems like a pretty good deal to me.

agedhorse likes this.
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Who doesn't remember the Monica Cerwinksi affair?

9. Was that the one involving George Clinton? And the infamous blue bass?

DiabolusInMusic and agedhorse like this.