Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

cgcf string gauge

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tigerotool, Oct 5, 2004.

1. tigerotool

tigerotool

Sep 30, 2004
    i have a lefty ibanez gsr100 with ghs bass boomers gauge 50-115. i have a heavily modified ibanez grx20 guitar which i play in drop c tuning. by using the zakk wylde (11-70) i can acheive drop c no problem. both guitars were recently set up by a local luthier and i told him i wanted them both set up for drop c (cgcfad for the guitar and cgcf for the bass). on the bass the low c is floppy. should i get a 5 string set and use the BEAD string and tune up or is it ok the way it is?

just answer the question about the string gauge please don't try to convince me to get a 5 string bass. i'm not getting a 5 string cause i play lefty and i'm perfectly happy with 4. a 5 string lefty would be hard to find and too much money and i don't want to buy another bass right now. just wanted to get that out of the way. ;)

2. murdermilk

murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004
    If the other strings are fine, get the smallest guage B single pack you can find and swap your E for it.

3. tigerotool

tigerotool

Sep 30, 2004
    they're a little floppy too but not as bas as the low c.

4. tigerotool

tigerotool

Sep 30, 2004
    so really what's the answer. buy a set of 5 strings and don't use the e string, or buy a set of 5 and don't use the g string? or use the same gauge and 100% steel strings instead of nickel-plated steel. i read in a magazine that the bass player from killswitch engage (my music doesn't sound anything like theirs) who also tunes to cgcf uses dr strings gauge 55,75,95, and 120. but after checking the dr string website, that has to be a custom set.

5. Whoa man! Calm down! I made a new thread a couple of days ago and no replies!

Try some stuff out, it may be expensive, but that's how we all found out how stuff sounds. Give a .125 B a go. it could be the one.

6. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    That's what I use. I tune my basses CGCFA and I use a .125 for the low C. Plenty of tension for me and I like my strings to be pretty tight.

7. zero7

zero7

Apr 16, 2004
    What you are doing actually is downtuning A, D, G a full step and uptuning B a half step.
    So buy a heavy set of 4 (i.e. 50-110), don't use the E and buy a light B (i.e. 125).

8. tigerotool

tigerotool

Sep 30, 2004
    i like thick strings. on my guitar (i use the zakk wylde set gauge 11-70) so i guess i'll have to buy a set of 5 and not use the g string and tune up.

ghs bass boomers 5 string gauges.

G D A E B
    40 55 75 95 120
    45 65 80 100 126
    45 65 85 105 130
    F C G C

9. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I set up one of Razor's basses CGCF with a set of DR Highbeams 45-105. We adjusted the action higher than I like, but it made the bass more than playable. I wouldn't expect great action anyway you go at it, but it is very doable. Just my $.02