Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ch-ch-ch-Changes....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Oct 10, 2004.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    With three basses leaving, two new basses arriving, and a refinish of a bass that's been around a while, I thought it was time for a new family picture (also need to gather evidence for my renter's insurance, too--just in case). :D

Here's the current arsenal of electrics:
    [​IMG]

Front row: ca. 1988 Curbow fretless 4 string (TI Jazz Flats)

Back Row:

2004 EB/MM Bongo fretless 5 string SC/H/P (TI Superalloys)

2002 Curbow fretless 8 string custom burled elm/mahogany body w/Rockwood lite neck and Rockwood fretboard (TI Superalloys and Ken Smith piccolo strings)

2003 Cort Curbow Retro (TI Jazz Rounds)

Refinished 1995 Curbow Int'l Petite fretted 5 string lacewood/purpleheart body w/Rockwood neck/fretboard (TI Jazz Flats tuned EADGC)

2003 EB/MM Bongo fretted 5 H/H/P (TI Superalloys)

I'm very happy with my collection at the moment and the only real bass that I forsee myself picking up in the future is a Fender PBass. The Curbow with flats gets a great PBass sound, but I want to own something with a traditional styling to go with my wacky tools. :D

Here's a quick shot of the the newest bass and the refinished Curbow together. They went to a blues gig last night and made me very happy:
    [​IMG]

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    how do you cope with the different string spacing on the curbow and musicman on the bottom? it is insanely different.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    What!? Whoa! Whoa! I'm not seeing enough Bongos here, what the heck happened?

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Seeing as some people can play both bass and guitar without considering string spacing an issue (myself included), I figure it's just a matter of getting used to it.

5. Too cool, man. That is one great-looking family.

6. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Yep. Oysterman is right. I like to think I have pretty good right hand technique, and I never really thought about it much. The Curbow neck is so much different than the Bongo neck that the wide spacing makes more sense in my brain, I guess.

7. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm not sure I understand. I've never owned more than two Bongos. Maybe you're thinking of crazy Jack with his 4 Bongos? :D I would like to think I'll own a single humbucker in desert gold one day, but it'll be a while before I'm able to justify it.

I'm happy with the two I have, though. And, I never said I wouldn't continue to buy new pickugards if I feel like changing things up. :bag:

8. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    nice collection jason,

9. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Oof, yes, you are correctomundo. In any chance...get some more Bongos anyway.

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh--I'll just tell my girlfriend you said it was okay to buy another one. :D

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Thanks, Dude.

12. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Thanks. The Retro is a very nice bass, considering that the street price is about $200US. I spent about $40 to get the mirror'd pickguard and truss rod cover for it, too. :eyebrow: The bass has had a fret leveling, so it plays as well as any bass I've played under $1000.

I keep thinking I'll get some Kent Armstrong lipstick tube pickups for it, but it sounds so good as it is that I can't justify spending more on pickups than I did on the bass...

I love the Jazz Rounds on the bass, too. With the teeny little neck, and the low tension of the strings, it's almost like you are playing air bass.

13. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    bassmonkeee,

What did the Petite 5'er look like prior to the re-finish?

What's that F'less 4's body made out of?

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...you can tell the Missus I gave my permission for another Bongo as well!!!

:hyper:

...lookin' like it's time for yet another SEUS/TB/GTG!!!

15. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Count me in...

16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hey, JRaj,

The fretless 4 string has a one piece mahogany body with a set brazillian rosewood neck/fretboard. It's the only set neck Curbow I've ever seen.

The Petite 5 had a wineburst finish, and looked like this:
    [​IMG]

17. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm game if everyone else is. Didn't JT offer his abode for an Autumnal GTG? :ninja:

18. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Has there been one inb'tween March and now?

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    There was talk of one at JT's but it never came to fruition.

I'd offer up BC, if enough of the Hot'lanta contingent wanted to trek for it. Can't offer much in the way of accomodations now as I'm in a much smaller space, but maybe some folks could team up....

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Very nice.
    I realy dig that 1988 fretless 4-string.
    How is pickup placement, sound, seems that pickups are further apart?