1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chadwick Question

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by All Three, Jul 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. All Three

All Three

Jun 19, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    I am considering purchasing a Chadwick, and I have a question for Chadwick owners.
    I do a fair amount of slapping, and I have some reservations about the fingerboard attachment system. Could it cause extraneous noises when slapping, or possibly detach while slapping?
    THANKS!

2. Jon Mush

Jon Mush

Jun 3, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB
    I've owned mine for a few years. I can't see how the fingerboard would be an issue. It's a pretty slick system. If you keep the humidity fairly stable, the fingerboard attachment should give you few problems.

The neck joint sometimes creaks on mine, and not at all often. Some wax on the mating surfaces takes care of it nicely. I haven't done anything to mine for a couple of years, other than go around and make sure all the various hardware stays tight.

3. All Three

All Three

Jun 19, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Dear Jon,
    Thanks for the reply, good info. Do you do any slapping on your Chadwick?

This is my reasoning:
    Playing in the lower positions would tend to support the fingerboard stability.
    Thumb position playing would reverse the fulcrum of pressure (but it would be a gentle, sustained pressure).
    I don't have concerns about these normal situations. Too many great players are using these regularly, and we all would have heard if they had problems.

Slapping, however, involves one impact after another on the bottom of the fingerboard, the stuff that might loosen the connection to the neck.

Do you find the fingerboard attachment just about as secure as a standard glue attachment?

THANKS, L.A.

4. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    It is probably more secure than glue.

5. Jon Mush

Jon Mush

Jun 3, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB
    Ha! damonsmith has it!

I'm by no means a rockabilly machine gun slapper, but I do a fair bit of the Western swing kinda thing and slap a bit. I know guys who also play Chadwicks who slap a lot more than I do (and much more proficiently), and I've never heard of, or witnessed, any issues.

The mechanism that holds the board in place has wedge-shaped little fingers that fit into slots in the neck. I kinda pull down to seat mine a bit, and after the string tension is on with some down pressure over the nut it's on there. I kinda have to pop it up to unseat it when I'm tearing down.

I'd imagine you're hands would look like ground beef at the end of the night if you managed to move the board.

6. All Three

All Three

Jun 19, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Dear Damon and Jon,

Thanks for your input, it looks like I shouldn't have any problems with the fingerboard. I think I'll get one.
    I'm not a psychobilly guy either, most of my slapping is done in western swing and New Orleans situations. I think I'll be fine with a Chadwick.
    Thanks again, L.A.

7. Jon Mush

Jon Mush

Jun 3, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB
    Mine's been indispensable for life on the road. I hope your experience is as good.

Cheers!

Earl likes this.
  8. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fishman Transducers, D'Addarrio Strings
    You won't have any issues, if you do happen to develop a fingerboard rattle it's an easy fix.

Earl likes this.