1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chaging J-style from Parallel to Series

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, Apr 9, 2009.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I've got a Squier Precision 5-string, which has two jazz pickups. I'd like to rewire it solely series to get a better P-bass sound out of it. Currently it's setup VVT. Is it as simple as taking the wires off of both pots and twisting two of them together and resoldering like it was a P bass?

Thanks TB!

2. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Actually, yes, it is that simple, however, in that case, only one volume pot will be effective.

However, there's an alternate series/parallel wiring that will let you keep the volume pots fully functional in either mode - the rest of the circuit (Tone pot, to be specific) goes as it went before.
    These threads explain it.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6449481
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=422462

3. If you want them in series, de-solder the bridge pickups hot and the neck pickups ground and solder them together, then heat shrink or tape the connection to insulate it.

That of course leaves you with only one functional volume pot.
    You can choose to leave it as it, or remove it and switch to a 3 hole control plate.

If you remove it, the tone will brighten. Whether this is good or bad depends on how bright you want your instrument.
    If you want to retain the "3 pots" tone, place a 250K (or 500K?) pot from the output of the remaining volume to ground.

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Thanks. I plan on leaving the pot in there for looks right now, and just going V/T. Output jack is side mounted, but I'm thinking about relocating it once I get a proper P pickup.

EDIT: Should clarify that I don't plan on having any S/P switching on this one. I have one 5-string Jazz, so this should be more of a 5-string P.