1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chain a GEB-7 and GE-7 or scrap this stupid idea

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jufros, Mar 30, 2009.

1. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I have a GEB-7 that has really helped my tone out. But there are some frequencies on the GE-7 (guitar version) that I really would like to have control over, namely (200, 1.6k and 3.2k). I'm going for low-mid presence and thump with some of the edginess that the upper mids have to offer.

With the GEB-7, I feel like 120 is too low of a start for low mids while 400 is too high. I 'd like to make a softer curve of 120-200-400 boosts to tackle the low mids. I'd also like to boost 800-1.6k-3.2k while dropping the less pleasing 500 slider on the GEB-7. I'd like to roll off 10k (GEB-7) and 6.4k (GE-7) and have the ability to play with color high-mids @ 3.2k (GE), 4.5k (GEB, and 6.4k (GE) with the intention of slightly boosting 3.2k to help with the perceived grind and shimmer and rolling off the other frequencies. I know that is totally theoretical and that I may have serious phasing issues to wrestle with. But I'm not totally satisfied with the level control that I can get out of the GEB and was wondering if I would be better using it in tandem with the GE or just scrapping the whole eq pedal idea and getting a 30-band Rane equalizer.

I'm using this for tracking in the studio but I'd like to be able to translate whatever eq system I arrive at to be suitable to fit into my live rig which consists of:
    Sansamp RBI
    DBX 166A
    Aphex Aural Exciter when Needed
    Rocktron Gainiac as a switchable tube overdrive unit (the overdrive sound is 100% worth it to me to have this thing in the rack)
    and a QSC Poweramp

I could run two eq pedals in front of the RBI or I could try to score a rackmount eq and stick it in before the DBX. As a said though, I'm looking for flexibility and the ability to tweak in a sound that I like both on stage and in the studio.

2. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think you already _know_ you need the rack EQ :)

At least one less buffered bypass & source of noise in the system, and two less things that need wallwart power.

c-

3. Geist

Geist

Aug 31, 2007
  4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Fine upstanding member of the community, that GEB-7. :p

If you can DIY, with the BYOC 10 band EQ you can choose your own frequency bands, and it's the smallest 10-band out there that I've seen.

5. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Yeah I think it would be more cost effective to try to track down a used Rane ME30 or DBX 131 rather than pickup the other boss pedal or MXR.

6. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Anyone think this is a good solution? If I can find a Rane for less money than the EQ-20... what's the downside really? I already have a rack of gear with my preamp, compressor, and aphex, etc.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The only downsides are hauling a bigger/heavier rack, and possibly getting caught up in finicking with the controls... that happens sometimes when people have "too much control" in their rig. But if you're good on both of those counts, then get the Rane EQ, it will be fine. Or look for an Ashly, I like them just a bit better than Rane. Just a bit though.

8. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Anyone know anything about the MQ series of Rane equalizers? They're stereo 31 band EQs with all sliders effecting both channels. While I clearly wouldn't need this for bass, it might be useful in the studio for other instruments.

9. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Well I actually got a pretty decent tone using all of the gear I just mentioned. Here is a stupid clip with a corny groove but it shows how the bass sits with some sample drums that are fairly generic sounding. This is a Japanese Ibanez SR800 w/ EMG P/J's and BQC through the GEB-7, RBI, 166A, and Aural Exciter. The QSC is powering a 4x10 Seismic Audio cab with an SM57 on it, and I blended the Sansamp DI with the miced cab.

I have my mids on the BQC set at 300 (lowest setting) and boosted just a touch past noon. The highs set at 2.5k and also boosted just a touch past noon.

On the GEB-7 I have 50 cut about 6 db, 120 flat, 400 boosted about 3 db, 500 flat, 800 boosted about 4 db, 4.5 cut about 2db, and 10k cut about 4 db.

On the RBI:
    Drive: 12:00
    Presence: 9:00
    Blend: Maxed Out
    Bass: 12:00
    Mid: 2:00
    Treble: 11:00

4:1 Ratio at about -20 threshold on the 166A.

Knobs on the C2 w/ big bottom are:
    Overhang: 1:00
    Girth: 9:00
    Tune: 10:00
    Mix: 1:00

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/670163675/758232099fddaaaf0c85fabda9d7b623

I was pretty happy with this and I don't think I need a rack eq for the studio anymore but might pick one up and try it out if I can find a deal.

10. totalimmortal08

totalimmortal08

Jan 21, 2008
    +1 for the mxr 10 band eq

11. surfingbird1

surfingbird1

May 22, 2008
    the mxr ten band rules my life, i have a aphex punch factory into the mxr 10 band into a bass xciter, I am extremely please.

the mxr has a certain warmth I cant explain, it is not a coloration though.

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Warmth = coloration. It may be very very subtle, but it's still coloration.

13. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    I picked up a Rane ME-30b for about 70 bucks and I think I'm going to use it as my main EQ but keep the GEB-7 as switchable eq to use after overdrives that kill some of my low end or as a kind of low pass filter effect.

My main preamp is a Sansamp RBI and I really dig the tone a LOT. But don't dig that the mid knob is set at 1k. Don't get me wrong you can create a lot of very musical sounds with the RBI eq but while I get more than enough growl with it (see sound clip above), I want to get a little more thump. With the rest of my rack, I'm pretty damn happy with my clean tone, but I always find myself wishing that I could cut at 80 and below, curve up a hump from 300-1k with the peak at 400, throw in a little bump at 2.5k for aggressiveness and harmonic richness, and roll off after 4-4.5k, thus the purchasing of the Rane.

Our lead guitarist uses a pedal EQ. Our rhythm guitarist uses a DBX rack EQ as his main EQ but has a GE-7 that he uses as a high-pass effect primarily with heavy compression and light chorus for funky syncopated riffs. We've been complimented on our balance numerous times and we spend a lot of time working on clarity in practice.

Our guitarist is donating a Big Muff (guitar version) and Micro POG to my rig, and I'm thinking about picking up an ODB-3, XXL Bass, VT, or Sansamp BBDI so I'll see what kind of weird OD tones I can get. I've heard the Muff can do pretty gnarly fuzz but kills your low end. The POG and GEB-7 might come in handy for that.

I think I'm a converted Tech 21 enthusiast so I'll probably shell out the cash for another one of their products, but the BBDI and ODB-3 both have blend controls, so those are probably at the top of my list for OD pedals. I figure I don't really need the fuzz that the XXL has to offer if I'm gonna have the Muff and would be better off with an OD.

I've heard that the BBDI can't really do that intense of an overdrive though, so I'd like to try one out before purchasing. Anyone think the BBDI driving the RBI would sound bad? Am I really going to buy the ODB over a tech 21 pedal for OD? Talk me into/out of this.

EQ is the most important effect to everyone in the band, so we'll see how this all goes. I'm going to do a search around here and dig up some info on the BBDI when used with the RBI.

14. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Since you've gotten that Rane, and you're discussing EQ with the guitarist, now is a perfect opportunity for you to "notch" frequencies with each other. IOW you decide which frequency range(s) you each will occupy; you boost in your range, and cut in his range, and vice-versa. This produces a big, clean sound where both of you can be heard.

15. jufros

jufros

Nov 24, 2008
    Yeah we're getting better at that but any tips would be awesome from you live sound gurus out there.