Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

chain of command

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RS, Feb 7, 2001.

1. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    How much effect on the overall sound do you feel speaker cabs quality have on your finally tone? Obviously, if any part (bass,amp,cable,speakers) is really awful, there is going to be a problem. But lets say you have a good bass, a good amp, and average speakers. Would you say that would be better than have a good bass, a bad amp, and good speakers?
    Know what I'm getting at?

2. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    Speakers have really big effect on your tone. Of course so does everything the bass, amp, etc.... ideally you don't wan't anything bad in the signal chain. Maybe not everything will the top of the line model but try to avoid anything really crappy. So your definately better off with say good, good, average setup than a good, bad, good set up. I'd start with a bass you really like the sound and feel of and start adding tings from there. The trick certain speakers sound better with certain amps and you just have to play around and see what works for you

3. I agree 1000000000% It is better to have a solid system than a great bass great amp and less than palitable speakers.... However I see your point(RS) and I think the amp and bass are the two key points, especially when playing through a PA system.....Afterall most clubs you would play you don't even hear your own rig except on the stage, unless of course they are mic'n your speakers, but I prefer direct outs.....I better stop now before I go off on a tangent....