1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chain of Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by blacklariat09, Mar 11, 2013.

1. blacklariat09

blacklariat09

Jan 6, 2013
    Accidentally posted this in Pickups and Electronics and couldn't figure out why there were no bites, here it is properly placed, all help appreciated.

Ok guys, the further I get into this the more I realize I don't know. I currently have a pretty healthy pedal board. I have a decent chain of effects but the more I read about how some pedals do better before or after this one or that one I am looking for some advice. Right now my board is as follows:

Bass ->
    Korg Pitchblack Tuner (Bypass) ->
    MXR M87 Bass Compressor (Almost always on) ->
    BOSS GEB-7 Bass EQ (using as a mid scoop for other effects) ->
    AMT LLM-1 Volume Pedal ->
    AMT WH-1B Japanese Girl Wah Pedal ->
    EHX Deluxe Bass Big Muff Pi ->
    Digitech Bass Synth Wah (Env Filter/Octave) ->
    EB UniChorus ->
    Neunaber Technology Wet Reverb ->
    W&C Phat Phuk B ->
    TC Electronic FlashBack Delay (I had at the tail for looper but I don't loop often and when I do it's usually clean anyways) ->
    Have a customer made kill switch coming for this spot by BassManMike73 (for tapping tempo into the Flashback) ->
    Sansamp Programmable BDDI (using for XLR port out also so it has to be last as a preamp sort of)

I am just wondering if this is the best or if my little knowledge of chain has hurt me or if this is good. Any and all advice is more than welcome.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    "Best" is what sounds best to you. There are no rules other than use your ears.

3. I generally find that EQ and Wah effects are more pronounced after distortion than before, and I usually like more pronounced effects.

But what RickenBoogie says is truth. If you've moved them around and find you like them where they are for a specific reason then I'd say you're good.

4. +1

Search for things like "effects order," signal chain order," "pedal order," etc and you'll find quite a few threads and opinions on the matter. But in the end, it's all bout what works/sounds best for you and your application.

Example: Spencer (designer of 3Leaf Audio pedals) runs his PWNZOR as close to the front of his chain as he can, while I'm exactly opposite and run it as close to last as possible. ;)

5sg.