Chaining a GK MB mk2 and mk1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tommy TGrip, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Tommy TGrip

Tommy TGrip

Feb 14, 2022
    Australia
    I have the GK MB110 mk2 and I have read that it is possible to chain two of these together, instead of using an MBP extension cabinet.

Could I chain an MB115 mk1 to the MB110 mk2?

Thanks

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
  3. I believe the OP is talking about using the MB (somewhat) proprietary CHAIN system they have in some of their amps and speakers. This is not a send/return arrangement. Rather it uses line level signals, though not normal line levels seen on XLR connectors, to feed other powered, preferably GK cabs. Look for the CHAIN output in the link you provided.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  4. Check the manuals for both to see if they support the GK CHAIN system. This uses a "line level" signal to feed other GK powered cabs via XLR connectors. A stand-a-lone amp will have a CHAIN OUTPUT. This feeds to a CHAIN INPUT on another GK powered cab. That cab may also have a CHAIN OUTPUT. This lets you feed still other GK powered cabs without concerns for impedances like you have with a simple extension cab. I think it's a really slick way of adding speakers and power when needed.
    115 MBP Specs — Gallien-Krueger

5. Callused Finger

Callused Finger

Feb 22, 2007
    New York
    If you can’t chain them like you hope to get your hands on or make an ABY pedal.

I threw one together with a pedal I try different things with.

Attached Files:

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    The first-generation MB115 does not have the Chain option at all. That feature was only introduced in Mark II.

[​IMG]

7. Heard tell, some time ago that a series l might be upgradable to add chain. Certainly it would be a send it in and have it done kind of thing, but worth looking into. Contact GK and get the definitive word.

8. ProbablyTooLoud

ProbablyTooLoud

Aug 1, 2020
    Atlanta
    Pretty sure you can't chain two combos though, even the MBii series. There's not a chain-in on them. But with the MBii you can use your combo + 3 powered mbp cabs total - I think. Maybe it's 2, can't remember. Either way you can get to 1000+ watts pretty easy - not that that's the subject here.

9. You might want to reach out to Gallien Krueger. Their service tends to be pretty helpful.

[email protected] Jason Finley is a life line there.

wave rider likes this.
  10. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    An A/B type pedal could be useful.
    Any stomp box with two outputs could do the trick.
    The headphone output could be useful, just finagle the gain.
    Try jumping out the other input? I dont have a chart of the circuitry, but you may just have a pad in-line.
    take the DI out into a Reamp box, that would do it too.
    Splice two guitar cables into a Y.
    Get clever and you can figure something out. I've got the older MB too.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  11. Topkat13

Topkat13 Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Maybe contact GK?