1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

chaining two amps together?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by blindeddie, Sep 28, 2018.

1. i was wondering if you can take a line out of the effects loop of one amp and plug it directly into the input of a second amp? i have started playing with a new band and they have a bass amp and cab at the practice space and i wanted to hook my amp and cab to their amp and cab. neither amp has a 1/4" output aside from the speaker outputs which obviously won't work. they do both have XLR DI's

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes you can. Use an instrument cable. Since you are serially linking two preamps, you have to be careful with the gain levels.

Keep in mind that the EQ of the first amp is whet is being fed into the second amp's EQ. You'll have to think about how to best set it.

If the second pre is a tube amp, if you want distortion you can set the gain hot enough to overdrive the fist stage in the second amp. This overdrive technique doesn't work as well if the second amp input is solid state. Solid state amps do not all like to have their input overdriven.

If you want to use just your preamp and their power amp, simply take the pre out (or effects out if you don't have a pre out) of your amp and plug it into the power amp in (or effects return if no power amp in) of the second amp. If your amp is a tube amp, the speakers still need to be connected and sound will come out of them.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  3. awesome, thanks.

saabfender likes this.
  4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    If the second amp has an effects loop return, you can use that and only have to worry about preamp settings on the first amp.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You'll be better off getting an A/B/Y box to split your signal into the front of both.

6. samniner

samniner

Aug 26, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I’m trying this right now with an LS-2 but I’m getting a lot of noise. If I go with the line out of the ampeg to the input of the Fender I get a very clean and strong signal. Is there a better option than the LS-2? A730E902-79A4-449A-A8BD-CAD432E80484.

7. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The Lehle P Split has isolated signals. That's what I went with because I was getting too much noise with any other attempt. The P Split is silent.

samniner likes this.
  8. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Hell, I've split my signal using both outputs of my Boss TU3 and never had much issue. I know it's probably not proper, but still.