Chair / Stool ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tim4003, Oct 22, 2002.

1. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    My back bothers me from time to time, so I've been thinking about getting a drummer's throne with a backrest to sit on while playing around the house.
    Anyone have this problem or can suggest anything that might work better?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You may think I'm great after this reco;

- I was in a plane crash in a private plane coming back from a gig this past Fourth of July weekend. My back and hip were massively screwed (as well as my pre-CBS Precis
    :( ).

Consequently, I'm gimpy and can't stand upright every minute onstage for now.

After MANY hours of searching all the musician chairs/thrones/benches, the best thing I found was a Quiklok seat. The typical drummer thrones just didn't cut it for me.

The particular Quiklok I decided to get is actually marketed to keyboardists. But, you can very easily adjust it so it appears you are standing upright all the time. The back also comes off if you just need something to rest your hips on. With the seat adjusted, my normal height of 6'3" is still about 6', so I still appear taller than anyone else in the band. Plus, I get off of it quite often to give "a little show."

It's not cheap ($180-$200) nor is it lightweight. But it was the best solution I could find after looking at everything I could find on the market.

Quiklok makes several products. I can't remember the model number off-hand but here's a pic of what I'm talking about -

3. My back bothered me from time to time as well.

My wife solved the problem when she bought me a Musician's Pick-N-Glider Chair.

It's made for the Guitar Player when you practice at home.

It's the BEST!

Check 'em out at: Guitar Players Chair

For stage the Quick Lock looks like it'll do the trick.
  4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    yes ive been lookin for a good guitar chair for a long time. I got the captains chair camp chair. You can get them at like a sports store, they are the fold up kinda that reclines and has a foot rest. Its good cuz its soft and wont hurt your guitar, and the arms are placed so that you can let the guitar hang out a bit so its comfortable to play, unlike a normal chair. Try it.
  5. just be careful (it may just be me), I find playing sitting and standing very different. Just if you play shows, just how I seem to be
  6. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Thanks for the input, guys!
    Looks like I got some investigative work to do!
  7. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    That looks comfy!

Anyway, at home I practice sitting on an adjustable cushioned office chair. I need a chair where my feet can touch the ground hehe (I'm only 5'1"). I can't stand for long periods of time so I mostly practice sitting down and I want to be as comfortable as possible.
  8. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    I was doing this also, but we're using it now for the computer.
    I thought I might buy another one, but just wondered if anyone knew of anything better.