1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chaka Khan (Will Lee Content)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This is "Life is a Dance" from Chaka Khan's first solo record. Back in the Seventies, Will Lee virtually patented slapping a P-bass through a flanger, and except for Byron Miller (George Duke,) no one has ever sounded funkier slapping a P-bass.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    nysbob, JimK and DWBass like this.
  2. How about Willie weeks on Forgetmenots, did he also play on Patrice Rushen's Hang it up? those are some funky P Bass tracks, right?

3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You are confusing Willie Weeks with Freddie Washington.

JimK likes this.
  4. Oh yeah , you're right. Willie Weeks played on the Donnie Hathaway live record, P-bass also I think but he didn't slap.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    More Will Lee flanged funkiness.

Dr. Cheese and JimK like this.
  6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dr. Cheese likes this.
  7. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is so perfectly cheesy but funky. I really miss the Seventies when every Jazz player was aiming to make some money like Herbie Hancock. It was not always great music, but l loved those grooves, especially the bass!:bassist:

8. HA!I guess cheesy is the word. That music kind of goes with the outfits I used to wear for gigs in those days.Angelflight pants and polyester shirts:laugh:

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I have plenty of Downbeat mags from that time frame (I still pull some out for a re-read; can be cool after all these years with more listening experience under my belt)...often, the DB critics/writers will BBQ guys like Hancock, Hubbard, Maynard Ferguson, et al for cashing in on what Downbeat called "Disco Music".
    I think anything with electric instruments was called either "Rock" or "Disco" by these guys.
    :)
    I bought plenty 'cause the bass was always kickin'.
    :)

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Opened a show for Chaka last night and she had Melvin Davis and Ronald Bruner as a rhythm section, scary great. Made my year!

ElMon and JimK like this.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That was great! You may have just written the most "I am of jealous of you" post for 2015!

Last edited: May 9, 2015
    ElMon likes this.