Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Challenge: Help me get THIS sound

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Mar 7, 2001.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I dusted off an old record the other day and was listening
    to "Suedehead" by Morrisey from the record Bona Drag.
    I'm don't listen to this stuff much (anymore), but I REALLY
    liked the tone this cat is getting.

I wondered if any of you tone kings would be willing to
    Napster it or something and help me figure out how this
    sounds is achieved. Is it just a J-Bass w/ a pick?

Consider my innane guantlet thrown down...

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    One minor correction:

"Suedehead" is from "Viva Hate". It was his first LP after leaving The Smiths, produced by Stephen Street.

I have no clue as to how they got that sound, though. Maybe a P-bass with fresh roundwounds.

Will C.:cool:

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If I was going after it, I'd use my Rick with thin gauge roundwounds that had been broken in. I think that would nail it pretty much on the money.

I know how this is Wally. For a long time, I've been trying to figure out the sound on the bassline to "The Avenue" by Bonafide on the "Royal Function" album. I know he is using a Steinberger through an Avalon, (the bassist told me in an e-mail). But I can't nail it live. Any guesses can be taken at www.cdnow.com where they have a sample.

4. P bass, roundwounds and pick would get close- this was the setup that Andy Rourke used with The Smiths, and the bass sound on Morissey's post Smiths stuff tended to be very similar.

on closer listening it sounds a bit hollower than a P bass, so I suspect a Jazz would get closer to the exact tone.
    a boost at around 1khz to 2.5khz would give that midrange bite.
    also a touch of chorus might help too.