1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Challenge: Help me get THIS sound

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Mar 7, 2001.

1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I dusted off an old record the other day and was listening
    to "Suedehead" by Morrisey from the record Bona Drag.
    I'm don't listen to this stuff much (anymore), but I REALLY
    liked the tone this cat is getting.

I wondered if any of you tone kings would be willing to
    Napster it or something and help me figure out how this
    sounds is achieved. Is it just a J-Bass w/ a pick?

Consider my innane guantlet thrown down...

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    One minor correction:

"Suedehead" is from "Viva Hate". It was his first LP after leaving The Smiths, produced by Stephen Street.

I have no clue as to how they got that sound, though. Maybe a P-bass with fresh roundwounds.

Will C.:cool:

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If I was going after it, I'd use my Rick with thin gauge roundwounds that had been broken in. I think that would nail it pretty much on the money.

I know how this is Wally. For a long time, I've been trying to figure out the sound on the bassline to "The Avenue" by Bonafide on the "Royal Function" album. I know he is using a Steinberger through an Avalon, (the bassist told me in an e-mail). But I can't nail it live. Any guesses can be taken at www.cdnow.com where they have a sample.

4. P bass, roundwounds and pick would get close- this was the setup that Andy Rourke used with The Smiths, and the bass sound on Morissey's post Smiths stuff tended to be very similar.

on closer listening it sounds a bit hollower than a P bass, so I suspect a Jazz would get closer to the exact tone.
    a boost at around 1khz to 2.5khz would give that midrange bite.
    also a touch of chorus might help too.