1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Challenged by different Rigs (Back 2 Basics?)

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bassman7PM, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Okay 70% of my playing is done at church playing a lot of guitar driven material like Hillsong, etc thru my Ampeg setup SVT4Pro/410HLF which is loud and deep. My main rig at home is an Eden 410XLT/Carvin B1500 (I just traded the Eden for an Aguilar GS212). Aside from the Contemorary Christian stuff I play a lot of Funk, Fusion and Urban Gospel which sounds completely different from one rig to another. The Eden/Carvin was a nice compliment but I really noticed yesterday that the Aguilar/Carvin REALLY produces DETAIL in my playing and I do mean every detail good and bad, things I never noticed while playing thru the Ampeg gear. I really have a lot of cleaning up to do to make my playing technique match my at home gear, is this unusual?

2. No it is not. Playing through systems that have more detail is always a telling thing and we all have faults in out technique that come through. It's one reason so many players are intimidated about recording or why some lesser sounding amps have unusual popularity. OTOH practicing thru a system that offers more detail will make you a much more precise player and that will come thru less detailed systems too.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    +1.

4. Bassman7PM

Bassman7PM

Mar 13, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks I needed that. Well off to the wood shed.

5. blakelock

blakelock

Dec 16, 2009
    yeah, i found that cranking the treble up a bit "helped" bring out my bad technique (finger sliding/scratch sounds, unintentional right hand touching, etc). so i've been using this setting to try and improve...then crank it back down for performance :bag: