1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Challenging hearing in a week - need help

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dezspet, Mar 5, 2008.

1. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    I found a band which would perfectly suit to my needs. It's funky, acid and I've always wanted to play that kind of music. They are a nice band of people as well. Next Wednesday is the hearing. They have sent three songs:
    1. Maceo Parker : My Baby Loves U
    2. Jamiroquai: Cosmic Girl
    3. Commodores: Brick House
    I have just realized that I have problems with the first 2 of them (mainly the first one) if I want to play EXACTLY the original lines. OK, I'm a perfectionist, but these are technically not easy for me, they are too fast.
    I have sent my musical "CV" and they are very excited, they think I would perfectly match their needs. This is a hobby cover band with little money, lot of gigs, and they want to find a good bassist who is not really interested about the money. They all have other jobs just like me.
    Now I have a week. What would you do, besides practicing a lot, would you simplify a bit the original lines? Or shall I just say no if I am not 100% confident?
    Have you ever been in similar siuations?
    Thanks,
    Peter

2. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Since no one has replied yet, I'll try to help.

Do not tell them no, you're not confident that you can play the songs. Work hard on the songs, play them the best you can. Even if not 100% accurate to the recording, make them have the right feel & rhythm, and approximate bass line. This is "good enough" most of the time, and you can perfect the songs after you get the job as bass player.

Do the audition "hearing".

3. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    Thanks Busker for the reply, this is what I will do. I have thought it over, and I think if they want to find a good but cheap bass player for their music, my skills must be enough. I will simplify the lines just a little bit and do my best.

4. +1

I'll 2nd that...even though it looks like you've already decided to do the audition. Work on the feel and rhythm, and simplify the tricky parts. I'm sure you'll nail it.

Keep us posted.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd go through and get the changes down first, then go back and start adding the more complicated parts. That way, at least you can get through the song at the audition, no matter how far you are along in the learning process.

6. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    They may think you're really good even if you don't play the parts right! Give it your best shot!

7. dezspet

dezspet

Mar 21, 2007
    Hungary
    Guys, thanks for all the positive inspiration and help, I got the job yesterday out of 9 candidates!:hyper:

First I was nervous like hell. We started to jam to find volume balance and get an initial feeling. They are damn good. I was immediately locked with the drummer and followed very well their dynamics. Then, after the first song (Brick house) the drummer told me that they never played it so tight before. So then My baby loves U and Cosmic girl were fantastic, all the nerv has gone. And I really enjoyed playing with them, I think they felt it.
    What I also learned that the decision was not only about playing skills. They took care of chemistry, wanted a nice person, wanted to find a full member, not someone who plays in 5 other bands.
    This is great to be a bassplayer!

8. Busker

Busker

Jan 22, 2007
    Yes! Good job.

We knew you could do it.

9. good to hear it went well :)

10. BackwaterBass

BackwaterBass

Feb 18, 2008
    Kentucky
    Great story, makes me want to join another group. I just love that new band smell.

11. cool!

12. Your'e a lucky guy! Nothing beats a great groove, good chemistry, and no illusions, and no money pressures.

Have fun

13. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
    I have to agree with this. I filled in for a band and had 4 days to learn all new music. That is how I did it. I think that you will be fine.

FWIW...I know that many will not agree with me but to me the chemistry between players is more importand than their skills. If you are good together you will just feel it and it whill click fine. Make the changes and do what you canand they will be impressed. Icecream, Pickles, liver and onions, and habanero salsa are all good but you sure would not want to put that all into a blender and eat it. So look gor the groove and the chemistry.

14. BackwaterBass

BackwaterBass

Feb 18, 2008
    Kentucky
    Yeah if you don't jive with the rest of the band its not going to work, or be much fun even if it does.