Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Challenging The Use of Tabs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cassanova, Jun 9, 2002.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    if tabs teach you to play songs so well then here, nobody should have a problem identifying and playing this song right off the bat. Right? This is an older song that some might not recognize, but thats the beauty of it all in my mind. Most people that learn from tabs have heard the song they're using the tabs for. This is a great chance to try and prove why tabs are not nearly as good as taking the time to site read.....yeah i know, some of ya'll are gonna sit at this untill ya get it to try and make a mod look wrong. But hey if you figure it out and get it right, then all the more power to you.

G:------------------------------------------------------
    D:-------1-3------------0-1-2-3---------------4-6-4-6------
    A:---2-3-----4----1-3-4---------3-4-----6---6------------
    E:-4--------------------------------4-6---4--------------
    Chorus
    G:-------------------------------------------------------
    D:-6-6-55-3-3-0-1-1----------1---1---0-1-2-3----------
    A:------------------4-4-33-1---1---1---------3-4-----6--
    E:-----------------------------------------------4-6---4-
    Bridge
    G:---1----------------1----------------1--------------1----------
    D:-3---------3------3----------3-----3----------5---3--------1--
    A:-----3---4------------3-3--4-----------33-3-6--44--------3----
    E:-------------4--4--------------4----------------------44------

G:---1--------------1-----------
    D:-3----------5---3----1--------
    A:-----33-3-6--44----3----------
    E:----------------44------------

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm not going to try, because I swore off tabs nearly 4years ago and I've been playing for almost 5 years. I don't want to start now.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I don't think anyone can deny that sight-reading is much more useful than Tabs.

The only thing I disagree with is the idea that Tabs are useless and hinder your progress as a musician. A piece of paper with numbers on it cannot hinder your progress; only your attitude can hinder your progress.

Cass, I'd be very surprised if someone figured out what song this is from the tab alone. However, if one already knew the song, and...

Oh, wait... same ol' broken record... :p

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I agree 95% in that *some* bassists rely too much on tabs, and thus hinder the development of their ear training. But most bassists should be given credit for using tabs judiciously.