1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

chamber under bridge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by anomalybass, Aug 11, 2012.

1. i was having a conversation w a luthier about different types of tone specific chambering, and he mentioned that he sometimes cuts a chamber directly under the bridge of the bass. i dont mean behind the bridge, but the bridge actually covers the actual chamber. the chamber is cut just wide enough that there is room for the bridge to be securely screwed down on top of the hole in the body. he said this was a good way to add more low midrange growl mostly for fretless applications. i was just wondering if anyone on here had tried this approach or had any feedback. the bass in question has a one peice ash body with no laminates. thanks- joep

2. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    If I'm not mistaken Fbass does this on the AC signature to give the tone an upright character.

3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, adding a chamber under the bridge can soften the high end and boost the mids. I've used them on a few of my Scroll Bass models. Usually, though, I keep the area right under the bridge solid and work with chambers in the area between the bridge and the neck pocket.

4. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    How do you chamber a 1 piece Ash body? You didn't mention a top?

5. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I think the idea is that the "chamber" is actually just a hole, which is concealed completely by the bridge.

6. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, chambers in solid body electric guitars are just holes. Their purpose is to soften or weaken the body, allowing it to flex more as the strings move. They will also reduce weight, obviously.

Usually, the chambers are routed into the insides of the top and back before gluing them together (in 2-layer construction) or cut out of the center core before before gluing on the top and back (3-layer).

But you don't have to do it that way. You can rout slots or holes right into the top or back of a one-piece body and leave them open. Do a neat job and they can look cool and stylish.

7. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    My fretless SC is chambered under the bridge. Reduce weight, and bring out some growl. Plus, I had a piezo system installed, and the chamber aides w/ that.