Chambered/hollowbody fretless builders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wyliee, Feb 15, 2005.

1. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I've been thinking about having a hollowbody fretless built. Something along the lines of the Alain Caron model F Bass or Kenneth Lawrence Chamberbrase. A piezo bridge PU and single coil PU combination. I'd like something that has a respectable acoustic tone (though nothing replaces a real doghouse) and great burpy fretless tone.

Outside of F Bass, KL and Manne, who makes such a model? I've been talking to Fred @ Bee about possibly making one with his GBC signature body style. Curious as to who else would make one? Benavente? JP?? Any other small builders??

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I just tried a fretted Hanewinckel that is like what you describe and it was incredible sounding. The best piezo sound I have yet to hear, especially in the top end. I would easily choose him over any other builder for that.
  3. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    I sound like a broken record, but I was talking to Jake about the same thing. He'll make one (look @ Wolfehollow's semi-hollow baritone, killer!) I just have to decide whether to go or not...
  4. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Mike Tobias will make you a chambered fretless. He had a killer Redwood topped one at the NAMM show. Fodera makes chambered basses as well.
  5. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi

I always thought this one was way cool.
  6. Carey could definitely do that for you as well. Lots of good choices you have.
  7. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm taggin on to this thread. My next bass will be a chambered six. I'm 99% sure it'll be a fodera. I'm going down to Brooklyn soon to talk with the crew about it.

Aug 13, 2003
    Sulphur LA
    A German maker called Sandberg makes a nice one for a decent price. It's called the Thinline go here: Hope this helps.
  9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
  10. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Possibly Rob Allen, very respectable acoustic tone, but I dunno if you can get a single coil pickup however...
  11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Rob would put a magnetic pickup in a bass as well. I believe there's a picture of one like that under custom basses on his site.
  12. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Ken Lawrence also has a chambered brase 11

mine is body B , a nice chocolate cocobolo top on ash
    and its getting a highly figured katolox fingerboard [fretless/unlined]
    RMC piezo and one mag :hyper:
  13. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Tim Barber from here on TB builds a killer bass. He did a semi-hollow fretless for me, and I think he would be very open to ideas on a chambered bass. It's worth a look-
  14. Besides some makers and models mentioned above, Leduc U-bass and BassLine Viper springs to mind.
    I've only played a Leduc myself - a five string fretless - and it was nothing short of fantastic. I urge you to take one for a test drive.
  15. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    I remember seeing a leduc fretless 6 up for sale sometime in the middle of last year - looked mighty fine to me, and it sounded really good in the soundclip done by Jerome Wolf :)

The link to the thread is here
    and the soundclip is here
    I'm really fascinated by the floating top thing... anyone have any opinion about it?
  16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ken Lawrence is the only other person I'd consider personally other than Fodera. Talk about some beautiful instruments! They're also some of the best playing and sounding basses I've ever had the pleasure to play.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The search for custom hollowbodys is one i was on and it was recommended to me i check out Michael Dolan.
  18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  19. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    If your interested, Sheldon Dingwall is working on a prototype hollowbodied afterburner and is having flatwound strings made for it as well. Using a RMZ Piezo I believe. Not sure when those will go into production though.