Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chambering for less weight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Frank Martin, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Should I use acoustic dampening material in the chamber to avoid unwanted resonances?
    Builders, do you use it?
    The chamber will most probably be a little less than 3" radius, roughly a half-circle, 3/4"-1" deep, and closed.

How much can this little chamber affect the tone, and how will it change?

(Don't tell me to search, unfortunately this topic brings rather basses up)

Thanks!

2. Frank, I had Chris Stambaugh make my 6 semi-hollow, more for weight than anything else. He advised against it, saying it would end up being the dominant factor in the finished bass' tone. I had a hunch I was after just that tone, & I couldn't be happier with the end product. The bass is lighter than my Jazz 5, which is no pig itself. I can't say what the Stammie would sound like solid or filled with some sort of dampening material. Can you try it both ways? If your chamber(s)were accessible, you could try it with & without dampening.

3. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    No, that's why I'm asking. The camber will not be open.
    It will not be a semi-hollowbody, this will be just a smaller chamber, a bit bigger than the electronics cavity of active-eq basses.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Perhaps you should ask this question on the "Luthiers" forum.

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If I don't get much replies, I think I will ;)
    Actually, many of the luthiers also ocassionally post here, too; but it's a less-viewed place of TB.