Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

chambering out a body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rdhbass, Aug 25, 2004.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Hi, i just wanted to share a project i am gonna get myself into. I have owned a mighty mite P bass body for awhile and it is extremely heavy with its maple construction. I have already hollowed out some holes under the pickguard to make it lighter, but thought I might as well chamber out the complete front and then put a top of some kind over it. Is this pretty hard or is it done alot? thanks.
    R.H.

2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Look at the edges remember they are rounded. If you lay a flat top on it you will not be happy with the results.........t

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Yep you are right, my stupidity.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Just make sure to stay away from the really tapered parts and it can be done.

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    what you could do is plane the front .............Or back until it reaches a flat area.........eliminates the curved edge. Then hollow out then lay on the wood and re-route the edges.

http://www.s98473082.onlinehome.us/tb/

The top left bass is very hollow..................T

6. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Right on T. thanks for the info. I wonder if a person could use an old fashioned hand planer, the kind that takes off chunks of planed wood at a time. I have no major table saws of any kind. just some jigsaws, dremel tools, etc. thanks. Better yet i could just hire you to do it? Hehhe. I'm planning on putting a neat top on the bass.
    R.H.

7. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    No thanks that job sounds like trouble to me........t

8. You pay for shipping, and I'll run that body thru a timesaver sander. it'll take that top off lickety split.

If you say "yay", PM me.

9. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Well...i looked at my body and part of the top of a P bass has a "cutaway" tapered, that you lay your forearm on. I guess a person would have to make a top for it, except for the tapered part. It might look ugly? Pretty intense if you ask me. Thanks for the help though I appreciate it.