Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chameleon Changes

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by WillCO, Jan 9, 2006.

1. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Does anyone have some sheet music with the changes for Herbie Hancock's Chameleon? Obviously most of the tune sits on B flat-E flat, but I need to pick out the changes to the weird 6/8 part towards the end. Help appreciated.

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I have it at home, but not at school with me, I'll try to remember take a look at it next time I'm home.

3. WillCO

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
  4. The whole song is Bbmi7 and Eb7. There isnt any part in 6/8 according to my fake book

5. Be careful. The last time I posted a thread about Chameleon it got hi-jacked all to he!! and then shut down! :D

6. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I think I know the part he is talking about, the time signature doesn't actually change, but there is a significan't change in feel and groove for a small section near the end of the song.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

On the album version there is a long section with "real" bass and a great e-piano solo by Herbie - one of the truly great moments in Jazz fusion - Paul Jackson's bass line is really funky at that point!!!

8. WillCO

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Exactly. I'm not sure it's technically a meter change, but the chord changes are certainly different in that spot. It's not on the fake book sheet - someone was nice enough to make that available to me.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

OK so the tune is 15" 40' long on the album.

For about 7 mins it keeps to the same funky two chord vamp thing - then it start going into a change - descending figure.

Then all stop at 7"40' when it's just drums changing the feel completely, bass enters with a more urgent feel...

Then at 8"40' Herbie starts his piano solo and there are more Jazzy chords and a more relaxed feel - this carries on to 11"50' when the descending chord chages break it up - back to piano solos a few time - alternating feels a few times with chromatic chords - then stop at 13" 15' and back to the original figure, Sax solo and fade out.. !! Phew!! ;)

So... which part are we talking about!!

:D

10. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    dont know if you still need this but heres something i wrote out a while ago. its kind of hard to read because i had to shrink it to fit as an attachment. the road map might be a little weird but if you listen along youll understand what i was getting at.

11. WillCO

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Awesome. This looks to be very useful. Thanks very much.