Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Champions League

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Toasted, Mar 12, 2004.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I'm so gutted Arsenal and Chelsea got drawn against each other, it would have been great to have the opporunity for 2 english football teams to be in the final 4 :( oh well.

Who do you think will win in arse v chels, and then in the competition overall

(on another note, im SO please manu got knocked out:D)

2. Well, look at the bright side: now there´s definitely going to be one english team in the semis.

Shame about Bayern Munchen. Ballack is my favorite and frankly, I am sick and tired of Real Madrid winning practically every year. Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo and co. are great, but enough is enough.

But OTOH, perhaps Real can bring some comfort into the lives of good people of Madrid.

3. I am not going to lie when I say I have no idea what sport is being discussed here. :confused:

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    The sport is Football! or soccer as you yanks call it, to the rest of the world, it is football!

Arsenal will win the match against Chelsea! No doubt about it.

Chelsea is the perfect example of that money can´t buy everything.

5. But Real Madrid proves the opposite... ;)

6. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Hmm, true, but not quite though. But Real Madrid are doing this differently. They don´t buy as many players as Chelsea does. Also, Real Madrid have been taking their time to build up their team with quality players.

Chelsea are going the gung-ho way. They buy many, many expensive players, Claudio Ranieri constantly rotates the lineup so the players can´t get used to playing with each other. Chelsea´s philosophy seems to be that if you buy lot´s of great players, you surely will get a great team which will win everything. They are not taking the time that it needs to build up a quality squad. Players are getting frustrated with being in the starting lineup one game, doing well, only to be out of the squad in the next game.

The funny thing is, with all those expensive quality players, their best player this season is John Terry, who has been with Chelsea for many years.

7. I think Arsenal will win, Chelsea have actually been playing poorly of late, winning games against us and Bolton after they've been totally out-played the whole game.

I'm getting sick of Real Madrid also, but watching them is amazing, a large slice of their goals are extremely well worked, unlike most of Van Nisterlrooy's goals. ;)

The Manchester derby today though.... 4-1!!! :hyper: :hyper:

8. It's strange reading this, because American sports aren't any different. One team buys everyone and loses, another team does the same and wins, and different teams are good different years.

9. I think Arsenal will win it, Chelsea never seem to be able to beat them. I'm hoping for an Arsenal-Real final, that would be good!

Little off topic (still on football though), but good win for Leicester yesterday after eveything that's been going on. Let's hope (well, I will anyway) they can keep battling out those results and stay up.

10. In Europe, does football do a "draft" for players, like American football, and other American sports? If not, how do they get rookie players?

11. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    but i seriously hope leeds go down. being a bradford lad myself ;)

12. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Nope, no draft.

Players are simply "raised" up by the clubs. Train with them from when they were kids. If they are good then they get a chance to play with the main squad. If not, then they play with the reserve teams in hopes of getting attention from varous coaches and scouts. Clubs can swap players between them, get players on loan and buy them.

The players who are not on contract can also leave the club and try to join some other club.

13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yup, Arsenal will win them, no doubt about it!

Yes it was a nice win for Leicester...

The Manchester derby was pure genious! I hope that ManU goes through this season without any trophies :) (keeps fingers crossed).

I was very disappointed today though. I just cannot belive that we lost to Southampton :( I have been an Liverpool supporter for many many years and I just cannot belive the form they are in now. At least Newcastle lost also, so not all hope is lost yet for the fourth place.

The team has no confidence whatsoever. Owen can´t score even if his life depended on it. I say out with Houllier NOW! He obviously cannot inspire his team to do better. Managers have been sacked for much less in other clubs many times. I cannot understand why the board will not sack Houllier.

Liverpool has many good players, but it seems that as soon as they put on the red jersey, they play like crap. Just look at Kewell. He has had some good runs but he has not been nearly as good as he was with Leeds. :(

Edit: For the love of God do not let Owen take more penalties, he just cannot finish them! ARGH! :mad:

14. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i think arsenal vs. real would be a great game and i wish i could watch it...im in the states and im not sure if they put it on ESPN or not..

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would have said their best player and the one who has been "ever-present" this season is Frank Lampard - he is at the heart of their best moves and apparently first on the team sheet!

Lampard is also now an England regular, while Terry is behind several other players like Campbell, Ferdianand, Southgate, Ehiogu etc.

16. Bruce Lindfield

That was pretty annoying for me - so as a Brighton season ticket holder - on Wednesday I was watching Trevor Benjamin, put in his best performance in tandem with Leon Knight so far and inspire a 3-0 win for us!

But then - Micky Adams was sitting a few seats to the right of me, watching this!! :meh:

But, I suppose it was nice to see Trevor involved in the goal that won - winning the crucial header in the box - nodding down for Izzett to pass to Ferdinand!!

It shows the strength of English football - that there is not much difference between the divisions - so last season, I watched Brighton beat Wolves 4-0- and this season they are in the premiership!! :meh:

17. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Agreed!

Lampard has also been excellent for Chelsea this season.

Maybey I´m a bit partial, but I would like to see the Icelandic striker Eidur Gudjohnsen get a little more playing time.. :)

18. hmm, how come all Bassists support Arsenal! I am a die hard Chelsea fan! Chelsea rocks! Hopez MU beat Arsenal and let Chelsea close the gap next wekk... :hyper:

19. Bruce Lindfield

I don't see how you come to that conclusion - most of the talk has been about Chelsea - I have supported Brighton for over 30 years, but have always had a soft spot for Chelsea and have been to their ground a few times to see games!

20. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I am a Liverpool supporter! I have been so since I first started watching english football many, many years ago.

I just would like to see Arsenal win just so that ManU won´t!