Chance at buying a Skjold...should i sell Sadowsky??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bubinga5, Jan 22, 2009.

1. bubinga5

bubinga5 Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    I have the chance at buying a Skjold Lions Pride 5 string..Not sure of the body but it has a walnut facing and a rosewood fb..you can see it at UK Bass Gallery on line...."New Arrivals"....I have a Sadowsky RV5, and am pondering wether or not to sell and buy this bass.

I had a chance to buy this bass from Bass Direct here in the UK a while ago, but it was well over £2000.00...but the time wasnt right...i was told this is a very special bass,,much more than the Sad??

My question is.(i know this is a matter of opinion).is the Skjold a better bass...Q's..what can i expect in tone, compared to the RV5? Can i expect growl, Punch, More versatile,.do they have there own pre amp/pups??

Skjold experts please lend me your knowledge...

2. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    This is too personal a decision for anyone to give you meaningful advice on the subject.

In general, it doesn't really matter which bass is "better." All that matters is which one plays, feels, and sounds better to you.

I've found that some basses have a certain magic to them. If you sell one for something that's supposedly "better," you generally regret it.

So, if you love your Sadowsky, then hang onto it.

3. bubinga5

bubinga5 Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    I get you LanEvo....but what im saying is there are basses like Sadowsky Metros then there are basses like Celinder's, Foderas, Sukops, i was wondering if this Skjold falls into the latter..

Is this bass worth chasing...I just wanted Skjold players thoughts on the tone to sway me to travel to check it out..I have tried many basses so i know you should try before you buy...i just needed some personal input...

thanks for your input..

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It sounds like you will have to pay the GAS tax to get that Sadowsky: the tax consists of you getting rid of a bass you know you like for one you think is cool. If you are like me you might as well do it, because thinking about the Sadowsky will just continue to nag you.:D

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I own a Skjold (custom, not a Lion's Pride) and an RV5 Metro. Both are wonderful basses. They are also very different basses. LanEvo is right... if one feels right, that's the one. You're not going to get the same thing, but better, with either one.

For me, the Skjold is the way to go. I'm able to get more of my tones with my Skjold versus my RV5 (although admittedly, both are up for sale... times are tough). I like my RV5 and have absolutely no complaints about it, but it's core tone is not what I typically go for. I can get very usable tones by playing with it, but my Skjold just speaks to me in something more my language.

If at all possible, you should play both and decide for yourself. Failing that, just be honest with yourself and what you really want in a bass, and take a shot. Either way, you have a great bass, and you will have more chances in the future to try even more cool stuff. The bottom line is, go with what you feel is right, and don't look back. This isn't the last opportunity you'll have to try either bass. :)

6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I've owned an RV5 and have some experience with Skjold's, which are wonderful and overlooked basses IME. While the Skjold's pre setup is more versatile than the Sadowsky, which has a signature stamp in the sound of the preamp, I would be asking myself which would fit better in the bands I was in. To me, the Sadowsky has a fundamental bass tone that works in just about every kind of music, a certain indefinable ability to sound big fat and clear in any mix and through any amp that I can't find ANYWHERE else. YMMV. If you can, as always, own both!!!

7. Freddy-G.

Freddy-G. take your protein pills & put your helmet on Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Duluth, Georgia
    I've owned three Sadowsky Metro's. They're great basses, no doubt. But I've kept my Skjold CS5. Just a top notch bass in every respect. The East/Skjold preamp with the Skjold SC-1 pups are phenomenal IMO. I say give the Lion's Pride a try.

8. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    bubinga,
    What fingerboard does the Sadowsky have? If it has a maple fingerboard then you're comparing an apple to an orange. Also, if the Sadowsky has an ash body and the Skjold has a Spanish cedar body (if I'm thinking of the right bass), again you're comparing an apple to an orange. The overall tones of the instruments will be different because the body woods are different. They will both have overall jazz tones but the body woods will bring about some definite differences.

I own a Lion's Pride as well and love it. However, mine has an alder body - an ash bodied LP has a different tone to it.

Have the tone in mind you want before you decide.

9. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    I recently played a Fodera Matt Gar and 2 alembics, which are meant to be drool worthy instruments?? :confused::confused:

i was happier on a streamer jazz man and a flea bass.. it really has so much to do with feel and set up.. it really changed my mind on expensive basses.. more happy on home grown parts basses now :smug:

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021