1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chance to get a Geddy CIJ for my Sterling Ray 35 or sell it straight..continue..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MovingPitchers, Jun 2, 2014.

1. So a guy offered me his Geddy CIJ for my Sterling Ray 35 or just cash; he said whatever I decided, he's fine with it.

I am tempted so bad to get the Geddy but I forgot I was in dire GAS of a precision bass, as a lot of you may know.

So I got a fat paycheque last week which makes it even better. Here's my dilemma:

1. Get the Geddy and have about $400 or more left over for upgrades or save up.

2. Get cash and have over $1000 to spend on a brand new bass (heck even an MIA!).

Problem is:

I went to Tom Lee, another music instrument dealer today in downtown Vancouver. They have more selections of AFFORDABLE basses than L&M.

I played these basses: a Squier VM '77 jazz bass with pearl inlays and binding ( *drool), a red MIM Fender Jazz with rosewood made in 2010 ( I think), a Geddy Lee MIM jazz, a MIM Fender P and J (both in arctic white and with maple fretboards).

Here's how I felt about these basses.

Squier VM '77: amazingly thin neck and pickups roared really really well. Yucky Strat knobs but that didn't affect playability. The neck itself almost made my impulse buy it. I soloed each pickup and I A/B'ed it with the MIM Fender Jazz in arctic white. Couldn't hear any inferiority from the Squier or any superiority from the Fender. The nice finish on the back of the neck made it easy to move around and it was a hot day today so I expected any finish on the basses to be a bit sticky but this one wasn't. It played beautifully. ALMOST bought it...ALMOST....Price was USED $299.99 CAD. Wow. Setup was superb; it was absolutely fantastically wow. Such wow. So Squier. Very surprise. Much unexpected.

Geddy Lee MIM: New strings were on it: I guess it was a new delivery. Played amazing and that signature super thin neck was easy to get around on. Love the black bindings and inlays. I hate how they upped the prices on these already inflated artist Fender models: 899.99 is already a PITA for me beforehand. Setup was good: a slight relief on the neck. Considering how I had setup issues with the BAII before, this one was killer. The BAII was set up just right; no fret buzz of any painful kingd no matter how hard I attacked the strings. The pickups were oddly mounted: not even below the strings: it was too low on the D and G side (bridge pickup) too high on the E and A. Neck pickup was almost screwed into the cavity where I almost couldn't anchor my thumb on top of the pickup. Way to go, guys. 979.99 CAD. Not worth it if I can get the CIJ from the guy.

Red MIM Jazz: short and simple. Yuck. It was like no one bothered cleaning it after dozens of people played it. Sticky neck, strings were old, action was ridiculously high. New bass too so it was $649.99. Pass.

MIM Fender P with maple: nice stock pickups and it boomed like crazy. The guy in the other practice room asked me why my amp was loud: I showed him that the amp was set to Volume 1 and EQ was flat and showed him the p-bass I was playing. He gave me "that" nod and walked away. It was honestly the best precision bass I have ever played. Sure, the neck was a bit chunky (chunkier than the MIAs I've tried out), but that contributed to the fat roaring sound it gave out. It actually shook the walls and people were like "Wowwww........". The pickups still had the plastic covering on them so it MUST'VE been new. I really love that bass now but is it worth the $629.99? Eh, I'm not so sure but it did feel real nice to have a brand new Fender P-Bass in my hands. Fresh from Ensenada, Mexico. Fender Mexico has definitely stepped up their game in terms of quality. I daresay it can match up against any MIA bass. Quality-wise. Sound-wise...unless Mexico decides, with approval, to produce their own aftermarket pickups....

MIM Fender J with maple: Same colour and fretboard as the Fender P. Pickups were a tad bit weak, but definitely better than the POS pair I have on my current MIM. Strings were a bit dead so I couldn't get the best out of this bass. I really do love the arctic white colour Fender is making; might even consider buying that body from Fender. Definitely better than the Red Fender I've tried out, too.

I'm in the market for a Fender Precision Bass.

So lost. I'm meeting the guy tomorrow and I keep emailing him about changing my mind. So...what would YOU do if you were in my place.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  2. The Squier VM jazz is an awesome instrument. If it wasn't for the weight, I'd still have mine. Amazing neck on those. I don't think you can go wrong there. As for the price, I got mine $279.99 CAD brand new 2 years ago, so I have no idea how that is the current used price on them.

As for a possible P, honestly, don't buy anything new. You shouldn't have to outlay more than $300 to get one. Head over to your local LMQ and get them to see what sorts of used Ps they have in the system or in the rental fleet. You'll be surprised with all the options there are.

3. The VM was actually really light! Are you sure it was heavy? Idon't know what body wood they use but wow, it was super light. Definitely not alder; I'm thinking basswood or agathis. It was lighter than the MIM basses...obviously.

I did call them about their used and rental fleet. I especially love the AW colour on Fenders so I Asked them about that. They have some used...but on the other side of the country and they said unless I'm absolutely 100 000% sure I want it, they won't ship it in for me because of all the paperwork that they have to do and it's burdensome if something happens to the bass while it's on its way or if I for whatever reason cancel it...

4. Yeah, mine was one of the maple bodied natural ones. It was well over 10lbs. Played great, sounded super aggressive, but heavy like a beast.

5. I agree with you on new basses. The prices are way too much for the bass and the used market is getting more love than the new so why the high prices?

6. Market dictates the price, so if people will pay it, that's where it will be.

You should buy through the classifieds on here. It is really the only way to go. I've made all sorts of transactions including basses, pedals, and amps, and not a single one has been problematic.

7. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

Dec 13, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    Sell it... Buy a Lakland

8. I don't do online. Ever. Can't trust myself with it. TB has a lot of great sellers, but also a lot of bad ones. I only do local because I wanna try it out before deciding. Y'know?

9. Nah, no bad ones one here…or at least they are few and far between. I find it far riskier to deal with people on kijiji and craigslist, and even a lot of music stores to be honest. True, you can't have a chance to play it first, but if you have a general idea of what you want - like a P - and you are dealing with someone on here with lots of great feedback, they'll tell you everything you need to hear before buying.

BigRedBassPlayer likes this.
  10. Thanks for the info but I'm really just looking locally.

Out of those basses I've played, what would you suggest? Should I just take the cash?

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I would say the MIM P bass. It's a different animal altogether from what you're used to so there's tonal variety to consider. I have a MIM P bass arctic white but with rosewood neck (wish it was maple but I bought it used, and it was already upgraded with Seymour Duncan pickups and Badass II bridge so I can't complain too much). I have to say the SD pickups make a great sounding bass that much better. It really thumps! So if it were me, I would try to find one used and use the money saved to upgrade the thing... if it already isn't upgraded. :) Here's a pic of mine, only thing I needed to replace was the pickguard that had too many scratches on it. Not sure if I picked the right color pickguard, but I was going for a slightly retro look. 2014-04-05 19.06.49.

12. I likey! How's the BAII holding up?

13. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    It works great on the bass, more sustain (VERY noticeable), really love the sound. Sounds better than someone's stock MIA P bass I compared it with not too long ago, yet it most definitely retains that distinct P bass sound.
    I've seen a number of MIM P basses in my area that have been upgraded similarly (as in SD Quarterpound pickups and Badass II bridge) so perhaps that may be the upgrade formula most people seem to take.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  14. Nice. I'm still stuck. I really loved that white p-bass I played.....but can't justify the price.

15. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    It really sounds like you want a P-bass (and for good reason). I would try and find a decent used MIM. Also don't rule out the Squier Classic Vibe Precision. They get rave reviews here on TB and some say they are better than MIM. I wouldn't worry about upgrades as the MIM or Squier will sound damn good stock. Okay maybe change the pick guard to suit your taste but otherwise spend your cash experimenting with different types of strings, or better yet just save it.

16. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    That is a high price for a MIM P-bass when a MIA is attainable. Just a suggestion, but perhaps sell the Sterling (if you're absolutely certain you don't want it). Take the money, keep it in a "New bass fund" until you decide what your best option is and you've had more of a chance to think about it. Also, other options may become available (such as a good used P bass may show up on CL) you'll have the money ready.

EDIT: I agree with the post above, sounds like the P bass might be the one that's got your interest. You do have a jazz bass, adding a P-bass to the stable is not at all a bad option- they're both fantastic basses.

17. Oh definitely. I'd love to have one of both worlds but that Geddy Lee CIJ jazz bass...was a bass I've been wanting for a lonnnggg time.

18. 4andnomore

4andnomore

Nov 14, 2008
    Decisions, decisions…

19. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    LOL.... I love it..you'll never get the Geddy Lee out of your mind and I suspect, you'll regret not taking this opportunity to get one if you don't.. so, get the Geddy Lee and start setting aside money for a P bass when the right one comes along. A cheaper, used MIM P bass that has already been upgraded.

Kawai-chang likes this.
  20. Yeah. Once I see the bass at the guy's house (since we're meeting at his house for he has two amps so we can plug'em in" I'll probably take it. I'll try to get a bit of cash out of him too.