1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Chance to go on a National tour

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by megadan, Apr 4, 2009.

1. So I got a message from a friend of mine who plays in a local band. They are doing well for themselves, have done a few tours, getting good radio play, awards, have a good label, etc.

They are looking for a fill in bassist for a 3 week national tour this summer. I've really been wanting to get out for a while now, and this is a good chance.

Obviously as I fill in bassist I approach it differently than being asking to join a band; it's not a band I would start but the music is good, typical sort of indie rock but pretty straight forward to play.

I would probably make about half of what I would make staying home and working my 9 -5, but I would get to see the country and probably make a few good connections.

Only problem is that the start of the tour might clash with a smaller tour that my main project is doing.

Also, between a 3 week tour with these guys plus another 1 or 2 weeks on the road with my main band later in the summer, I might have to just quit my job all together (I don't get any paid vacation time anyway). I dislike my job, but it's also getting harder to find work these days.

I'm torn... I think I might regret it if I don't take the chance, but it's hard when it might throw your whole world topsy-turvey.

What would you do?

2. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    I think it really depends on your personal situation.

If you have a family depending on your paycheck to be there for more than say 5 weeks, then I do not see it as an option. If your significant other makes a good living, and your day job does not pay well then maybe you could swing it.

Getting out to play is great, but what are your prospects when these 5 weeks are up? Are there any other tours/paying gigs you can get so you do not have to worry about your "day" job? If the answer is yes, then consider it.

You are in the position many players have been. It is a tough thing...trying to transition to being a full time pro musician. Many have tried, and great percentage fail. I am not saying that you should not try, but you need to make sure that the risk is worth the benefit. GOOD LUCK!

Mark

3. I like to live my life such that I don't have a lot of regrets for things I didn't do. That said, that worked a lot better when I was 20 than now that I'm pushing 50 and have a good job/career, and jobs are hard to find.

If this was a permanent thing, I'd think I'd be more likely to go for it. But if you can afford to risk the job, it would be a lot of fun, great to get out of your system.

Randy

4. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Do you have:
    Diapers to buy?
    Child support?
    Car payments?
    House payments?
    Etc, etc.

If not, youre a bachelor who has no bills, then go for it. McDonalds is almost always hiring. ;)

5. Screw the job, this is a once in a life time opportunity :)

.. But I'm only 15, so that might be my reason. :D

6. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota

Im with you on this one.

7. Tough decision. But Id have to agree, if you have "dependents", then take care of them, if not, and only have a "job", and not a career, DO IT! You never know what this could turn into, contacts, contracts....the possibilities are endless. You'll find another job if it doesnt work out, plus what a memory you'll have AND you'll never have to think "what if?" I have a wife and 7 year old daughter....Im not going anywhere! Good luck.

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    And may I add, we only have one life. Might as well spend it the way that makes you happy, but you have to bear the consequences.

9. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    Agree with above. The road is a great place on a fill to see if you have the stomache for it.

10. Blah114

Blah114

Feb 7, 2008
    go for it.. find a way to do it.. that's what I would do.

11. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    While I understand that it's really easy over the internet to tell someone else to drop everything and run with an opportunity, I really think you should explore this.

If you are interested in touring with your own band, this is invaluable experience. And even if you don't, the experience is something you'll always remember, both the good and the bad - hopefully a lot more of the former.

This is assuming you aren't married/have kids and that your job is not a career, which it doesn't sound like it is. If you can swing it, I say do it.

12. Well said.

13. meta

meta

Mar 11, 2009
    agree with the general sentiment.

but i spent my early and mid 20s in asia. played keyboards in a band, played some bass and some guitar. it's an easy gig over there (depending on hte country). its great to just live without regard for too many consequences, and 5 weeks isn't a huge investment. the job market sucks right now anyways, so see if you can take a leave of absense, and slot back into the 9 to 5 when you return. ie. don't burn any bridges!!!!!

I'd say, if you are young and free, go for it. if you're old and free, go for it. if you can swing it, go ahead, it's not like it is a really important sacrifice ;) you never know what will come of it. but if you ain't free, it ain't free.

14. My gut reaction is to say do it!

15. I agree! Well... sorta. If you're 15, living at home, with no financial responsibilities, I'd say go for it. But if you're a working stiff who has to pay rent/mortgage/bills/etc with money you make every month, and you don't have a bank account with 6 figure in it to live off if you're not working - then I'd say you probably have to pass.

Finding another job in this economy might not be easy, and you could potentially be out of work for 6-12 months. (maybe more - depends on your situation)

Think long term. If you can swing it (ie, someone else is supporting you, or can support you if you lose your job), then it would be a good experience that you'll look back on for years to come. If you can't swing it, it could bury you.

16. Thanks... I have no kids, no deadly serious bills to pay. I could survive I think.

I'm definetly leaning towards it... Just gotta find a way to tell work :D

17. Dkerwood

Dkerwood

Aug 5, 2005
    Midwest
    Depending on when the tours are, you might just start looking for another day gig. A couple of years ago, I was working at JC Penney selling shoes. Boring gig, but commission sales paid very well. GF and I decided in August to head to Orlando the next January. I told my manager in September. She said OK. October rolls in, she tells me that she isn't going to approve the time off. I immediately start looking for another job.

Exactly two weeks before Thanksgiving, the YMCA hired me at a FAR better hourly rate (and pretty comparable to my average commission sales). I was able to turn in my two weeks and not have to work Black Friday. When I interviewed for the job at the Y, I told them I had a vacation planned (plane tickets and hotel paid for), and they said they would work around it. Perfect.

Anyway, talk to your boss- explain that it's a once in a lifetime opportunity (even though we hope it's just the first of many) and that you'd love to continue to work for the company when you get back. If they aren't accommodating, tell them you'll have to think about it and start applying elsewhere. Depending on when the tour starts, you'd either put your earliest start date as the day you get back, or start ASAP and just mention in the interview that you've got some freelance work that will take you out of town for a few weeks.

If nothing else, you can always crash with Mom and Dad when you get back. :)

18. Dan, congrats!!!

Though it might be a tough decision, it's a great problem to have.

19. Don't tell work what you're doing. The boss won't respect it and it'll lessen your chances of getting the time off or having a job when you get back. Tell him you need some personal time off and if he asks why tell him it's personal!

It's like when i twisted my ankle skateboarding and had to take a day of PTO, i didn't tell them i was skateboarding because they would have thought that a terribly irresponsible thing for a 32 year old paramedic to be doing. Your boss and co-workers knowing why you're taking off will only hurt you, and trust me you can't tell your co-workers because it will get back to the boss.

If you can cover your bills with what you'll make when gone (estimate 30-40% less than what you've been told- gig cancellations, illness, and van breakdowns can really eat up your take) and you don't have to worry about health insurance coverage, gf, pets, etc then GO FOR IT! Most people never get an opportunity like that.

20. Iroquoi

Iroquoi

Sep 18, 2008
    Decisions need to be taken everytime...
    But opportunities rarely appear and sometimes it is a case of once in a lifetime.
    It's up to you to judge what you're gonna lose or win with each one