Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chancellor vs. D'amore

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by LAW, Aug 18, 2005.

1. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    Who does everyone prefer?
    Just wondering. I myself like Da'more's style better with all that droning he does. Chancellor also very talented.

2. phaneo

phaneo

Mar 14, 2001
    Fort Worth TX
    Paul D'amour deffinitely. Anyone know what he's doing now?????

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    *cough* I did a thread on this a couple months ago *cough* :D

But anyways, I think D'amour is more of a rock bassist. I love him just as much as Chancellor. His tone is pure Rickenbacker sex. I love Chancellor's too. I find him to be much more artsy fartsy. I love how he uses his effects too.

EDIT: Oh yeah it's D'amour. ;)

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

www.feersumennjin.com

the bass player is using paul's old gear. his ric and stingray from TOOL. and an ashdown 900 with abm 4x10 and 1x15 cabs. when recording, i was told, paul used that set up and also an old svt head. there may have been a EHX synth and some sort of distortion pedal involved.

5. I like Pauls tones the most, It's by far the best ive ever heard. I like Justin's creativity and his use of effects, But his tone just doesnt do what Pauls tones does for me. I love both these guys playing, but Pauls tone wins hands down IMHO. I sort of wish he stayed with Tool, Imagine his tone on The Grudge, Jimmy or Third Eye.

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    To be honest with you, I think he tone would sound AWFUL in those songs you listed-- especially "jimmy." "jimmy" just has such a mellow, smooth sound. I think D'amour's tone would kinda ruin it. Don't get me wrong though, his tone is sexy.

7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I feel the need to say, "Tikatikatika tika poo lat poot pow."

Quoting Mike Patton of course.

8. You mean Paul would ruin it, Right?

9. Man, I like both of them, but D'Amour's tone ruled!!!

10. harry manback

harry manback

Jul 19, 2005
    ***?? well I guess even Justin thinks D'Amour's tone was better since he said he "tried to copied it" on an interview I read.

In my opinion Paul's tone was more unique... Justin has better basslines

11. +1

12. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    i prefear justin as a bass player in every aspect,

also i like much more the albumns with justin.

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Yeah i'm gonna edit. :)

14. LAW

LAW

Jun 23, 2005
    Anyone know what rig either of them played? Both have great tone. I'm trying to emulate. I know D'amore played a ric at one point but that is it.

15. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

if you do a search on justin you could right a book about what the good folks here at TB thinks he uses. to mention things we know he uses.

paul...hmm. you could probably search that too.

16. Justin used a Demeter preamp and Mesa cabs, though I'm not sure of the power amp he was using.

Peace!

17. My vote is for For Justin Chancellor, more musical.

18. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I believe Justin pretty much uses Wal basses. Isn't it, like, near impossible to even get a Wal these days?

Both are great, but the bass tone that sticks most in my mind is the one in "Forty Six & 2" which is just awesome. So my vote's for Justin.

19. I like them both. I notice the sound of Tool has gradually changed from album to album, all going in one direction. I think it's kinda unfair to speculate what songs with Justin would have been like with Paul, since Justin helped write most of the songs. IMO, if Tool still had Paul, they would have a sound more reminescent of Opiate and Undertow. I've heard that the new album is heavier than Lateralus, so I'm interested to hear how Justin fared with it. (After all, Paul did help with the writing process of Ænima, so you really hear more of his style on that album than Justins.)

So my answer would be.....well I can't decide, they're both so good!

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm pretty sure D'amore is french for love. <3